cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Do you agree with this? We are debating whether to get GHIII or Rock Band (already have GHII).
No I dont. Getting 5 stars on Rock Band is just as hard as mastering the Expert tour on GH.

The Rock Band experience is WAY cooler because you can play as a team...er...a band. If the drummer sucks and the crowd starts getting upset, the better musicians can still save the show by hitting all their notes. The vocals portion actually measures your pitch as well as the timing of the words you sing. It is just a much more fun experience and it isnt even close.

Let me ask you, if you already have GH2, why would you bother getting GH3? Just for the new song list? other than that, what is different about it? With Rock Band, put down the guitar for a bit and try drums. Or sing. Or play the bass. Or everyone in the fam play together on the same song.

RIP GH.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
No I dont. Getting 5 stars on Rock Band is just as hard as mastering the Expert tour on GH.

The Rock Band experience is WAY cooler because you can play as a team...er...a band. If the drummer sucks and the crowd starts getting upset, the better musicians can still save the show by hitting all their notes. The vocals portion actually measures your pitch as well as the timing of the words you sing. It is just a much more fun experience and it isnt even close.

Let me ask you, if you already have GH2, why would you bother getting GH3? Just for the new song list? other than that, what is different about it? With Rock Band, put down the guitar for a bit and try drums. Or sing. Or play the bass. Or everyone in the fam play together on the same song.

RIP GH.

This makes me sad. I would rather everyone in the family play actual instruments and do a few songs. I am just not a huge fan of video games.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #13
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This makes me sad. I would rather everyone in the family play actual instruments and do a few songs. I am just not a huge fan of video games.
You need to get out of the mindset that it is one or the other. You start sounding old when you talk like that. By that logic, stop watching football on TV and go out and actually play football games.

Video games are a way to have fun and pass the time. Same as when you and your parents would sit around the Marconi and listen to Amos and Andy.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #14
creekster

Quote:
You need to get out of the mindset that it is one or the other. You start sounding old when you talk like that. By that logic, stop watching football on TV and go out and actually play football games.

Video games are a way to have fun and pass the time. Same as when you and your parents would sit around the Marconi and listen to Amos and Andy.
SOrry, I just find most video games a waste of time (except for hte occasional car race game). Maybe it's becasue I am old, maybe it's becasue they are.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
SOrry, I just find most video games a waste of time (except for hte occasional car race game). Maybe it's becasue I am old, maybe it's becasue they are.
Too much of any diversion is a waste of time.

You do sound like the generation gap is starting to engulf you. This lack of appreciation for the new should sadden you more than your son's GH hobby.

Personally, car racers are my least favorite games. Also, sports games.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
creekster

Quote:
Too much of any diversion is a waste of time.

You do sound like the generation gap is starting to engulf you. This lack of appreciation for the new should sadden you more than your son's GH hobby.

Personally, car racers are my least favorite games. Also, sports games.

Be careful how you extarpolate, my synthetic-fur-covered-facsimile-avatared friend. If I had not tried 'GH' or some of the other offereings, I wouldn't be able to talk about them. Moreover, you assume I ahve the same attitude towards all things new. Not so.

ALso, thre is no such thing as a generation 'gap.' What are you referring to? If you mean that I am old enough to be my son's father, you are correct. But with age comes perspective (even if you lack wisdom, you still get some perspective; look at SU, for example) and you evaluate things a little differently. Don't forget, I was playing arcade and home video games probabyl befire you were out of diapers. THey just don't interest me that much anymore. While too much of any diversion may be a waste of time, not all divresion have the same time-wasting threshold. With some free time I would rather a) play a real instrument (especially with my kids); b) go on a bike ride (again with wife or kids); c) read a good book d) do a little ward socializing (OK, kidding here) or e) post mindless drivel on an internet sports board. With such excellent choices why try to shoehorn videogames into the mix?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Be careful how you extarpolate, my synthetic-fur-covered-facsimile-avatared friend. If I had not tried 'GH' or some of the other offereings, I wouldn't be able to talk about them. Moreover, you assume I ahve the same attitude towards all things new. Not so.

ALso, thre is no such thing as a generation 'gap.' What are you referring to? If you mean that I am old enough to be my son's father, you are correct. But with age comes perspective (even if you lack wisdom, you still get some perspective; look at SU, for example) and you evaluate things a little differently. Don't forget, I was playing arcade and home video games probabyl befire you were out of diapers. THey just don't interest me that much anymore. While too much of any diversion may be a waste of time, not all divresion have the same time-wasting threshold. With some free time I would rather a) play a real instrument (especially with my kids); b) go on a bike ride (again with wife or kids); c) read a good book d) do a little ward socializing (OK, kidding here) or e) post mindless drivel on an internet sports board. With such excellent choices why try to shoehorn videogames into the mix?
I didnt know gibbons had to asserts themselves as the alpha male....

Fair enough on all of your observations, except one...

The earliest game you could have played at home was Pong and we had that in my home. I was out of diapers by then. Your generation can claim to be The Greatest. No sweat. But my generation mainstreamed video games.

Come to think of it, wasnt it your generation that lined up in Little Rock to protest integration?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #18
creekster

Quote:
I didnt know gibbons had to asserts themselves as the alpha male....

Fair enough on all of your observations, except one...

The earliest game you could have played at home was Pong and we had that in my home. I was out of diapers by then. Your generation can claim to be The Greatest. No sweat. But my generation mainstreamed video games.

Come to think of it, wasnt it your generation that lined up in Little Rock to protest integration?
Ok, but was PONG still NEW when you left the world of diaper rash behind?

How old do you think I am, btw? I am not of the Greatest gneration, I am their offspring. I am the boom, not the boom maker.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Ok, but was PONG still NEW when you left the world of diaper rash behind?

How old do you think I am, btw? I am not of the Greatest gneration, I am their offspring. I am the boom, not the boom maker.
Serious? I would have thought you are in your mid fifties. Am I way off?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #20
creekster

Quote:
Serious? I would have thought you are in your mid fifties. Am I way off?
Yes, but thanks for asking. (47, but still not as old as Arch).