cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
You don't see a parallel? The church adopts a policy, you disagree with the policy.

By the way, what has the prophet said about swearing?

:P

(And yes, I am just trying to be annoying)
Don't tell him your motives!

Don't you see the beauty in his responses and participation here? He champions the cause of bind obedience, ridicules the people here who dare question authority, all the while he swears, treats people like crap, calls women whores, and acts about as un-Jesus like as you could.

The irony of it all is amazing....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Don't you see the beauty in his responses and participation here? He champions the cause of bind obedience, ridicules the people here who dare question authority, all the while he swears, treats people like crap, calls women whores, and acts about as un-Jesus like as you could.

The irony of it all is amazing....
Let's see... I'm okay with the swearing and the treating people like crap, because it's true and also because I treat people like they treat me.

And if you're going to keep beating me over the head with the whore thing even after I apologized and have never done it again, go for it.

I'm the one with the homosexual obsession? Get over it, fussy.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Let's see... I'm okay with the swearing and the treating people like crap, because it's true and also because I treat people like they treat me.

And if you're going to keep beating me over the head with the whore thing even after I apologized and have never done it again, go for it.

You are so lame dude.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1906653

So you post a picture and callmy lady a whore, you apologize, cry foul when it is brought up and lo and behold what do you do? You call my lady a tramp.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Are you suggesting people deserve to be treated like crap? Which of the two great commandments did that fall under?

I must have missed the swearing exemption for when "it is true," whatever that is supposed to mean.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
So you post a picture and callmy lady a whore, you apologize, cry foul when it is brought up and lo and behold what do you do? You call my lady a tramp.
Obviously TIC, stalker.

Quote:
Are you suggesting people deserve to be treated like crap? Which of the two great commandments did that fall under?

I must have missed the swearing exemption for when "it is true," whatever that is supposed to mean.
I don't have enough charity to turn the other cheek. Sorry.

And you misread me. I said I'm not going to refute the claims that I swear in my posts, because I did. The accusation is true.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #16
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Although not a fan of AA, I can see wisdom in doing it for BYU. We have a significant minority population that needs leadership skills, training and education.

If you compare the skills of gringos in the US against latinos in South America, most will not be as well prepared to enter college. But we must educate them to get them into a better economic class.

I'm not a fan for government AA, but for BYU it makes sense. We need to promote our members as best we can.
I guess I don't see how the rationale for AA at BYU is any different than the rationale for AA when applied to any other group of minorities. It almost sounds like you're saying that the only minorities whose welfare concerns you, are those minorities who happen to be LDS.

If large groups of people are institutionally disadvantaged, as is the case in our country, isn't it beneficial for society as a whole that we find a way to help those people find a way out of their disadvantaged state? Isn't that a better solution than to simply pour more money into the welfare system? When decrying welfare, people love to spout the platitude "...give a man a fish, he eats for day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime." Isn't affirmative action nothing more teaching segments of the population how to fish?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The Church really cares about the welfare of persons. It has political tendencies, but it really isn't a bunch of political enclaves. We care for the spiritual and temporal welfare and in return many members reciprocate. I want to see our brothers and sisters succeed.

The government is not really concerned with welfare but with pandering to political power groups. And government is not there to promote the welfare of one group over another. It must and should treat all groups equally.

I have faith that the Church really does wish to promote welfare and is not trying to placate a group. I have no faith government can, will and wants to help persons. Because it doesn't want to, it won't. As you should be aware, I completely distrust government except to screw you over. To hell with our government!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have mixed feelings about affirmative action.

In principle I am against it, but on the ground, when it comes to trying to get a young man or woman in my ward to college who is a poor minority, I find myself grateful for it.

What I favor is an affirm. action program based on financial/socioeconomic status, not based on skin color.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #19
JohnnyLingo

I can agree with you there, Mike. I'm much more in favor of giving kids a boost based on their economic background than their racial one. Do people really believe that being non-white is a disadvantage for them in getting an education?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I can agree with you there, Mike. I'm much more in favor of giving kids a boost based on their economic background than their racial one. Do people really believe that being non-white is a disadvantage for them in getting an education?
Race intrinsically is not a factor. But it is collinear with groups of people that have not participated in education, and therefore tend not to emphasize it.

The girl in my ward, who is half-black and half-asian, whose father was a drug dealer and was murdered about 4 years ago, who is dirt poor and has a mother who barely speaks English. The cards she was dealt are different than your cards.

And you will see this story occur more often with the "disadvantaged" minorities.

We know that being Asian doesn't seem to hurt when it comes to academic performance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote