cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UMass

Apparently, I am super-negative because a 7 and 3 season so far does not excite me. In the only games against ranked teams, BYU is 7 and 3. More importantly, BYU can't stop any player from the other team.

Apparently, many BYU fans take pride because BYU has a team, is nice and wins some games against local teams. If you point out a weakness or act disappointed, then you are a negative nancy.

In other words, as long as you don't care about the results, compliment poor performances and continue to believe that being the best team Utah County, you can be a happy camper rooting for BYU. What is it about Mormonism that makes people happy to just go along, not rock the boat and be happy with whatever happens? Do you go to a musical and enjoy the singers singing off tune?

Every year I read about how BYU has turned the corner and that I should really watch this talented team. Every year the hype fails to match reality.

BYU still has a few chances left, one against Oregon and a couple against Gonzaga, but the early season results are not promising.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I know, I'm paying attention to only the big games as well. I'm in despair.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I know, I'm paying attention to only the big games as well. I'm in despair.
The team has some parts but they are not fitting together well in these big games. It lacks interior depth to go too far.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This team just can't play defense well enough to bump itself up to the next tier.

Back in the day, Rose used to play mostly man-to-man. But he got away from that during the Jimmer days. And he's held on to the idea that we don't have to be very good defensively because our zone will bail us out.

Nate Austin, aka, peanut brain, is not a good defender and not very smart to boot. If there is a game-losing foul to be made, he is ready are the fore.

Also it appears that Haws has been reading his clippings more than he has been committed to becoming a better defender. He is woefully outmatched at the 3 position. The idea that he can block out 6'8" athletic shooting guards is ridiculous.

I like Carlino as a defender as well as Collinsworth. And Mika is not as good as his athleticism would suggest at rim protection, but I will give him a break because he is generally trying to avoid fouls.

You add this to extremely poor foul shooting....inexcusable that our guards are this poor at foul shooting.

I saw a lot of "hero" ball from our guards against UMass. I saw our guards with the ball turn down a lot of open guys at the 3. The offense looks like Syria sometimes. Hello? How about a little bit of discipline and taking open shots. And moving the ball.

I still don't understand why Sharp is not on the floor more. We are getting killed, and he plays a 4 guard lineup.

I wish there was someone in the media who wasn't a vag, and could ask Rose these questions.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote