cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default I got a new church calling

On Friday, the 2nd counselor called and asked if he could meet with me on Sunday morning. "Uh oh" was my first thought.

I spent all weekend thinking about what possible calling I could be getting (I'm currently teaching Primary with Mrs. Meanie which is a cakewalk calling that I really like). The 2nd counselor is in charge of YM/YW/Scouts so I was thinking that would be the most likely calling. I was bummed because YM/Scouts are very time-intensive callings. Then I realized that the 2nd counselor is also in charge of the ward mission. I got really bummed when I thought about the possibiliy of being called as Ward Mission Leader. That has got to be the worst calling on the planet.

Well, this morning I went to my meeting with 2C, prepared for the worst. When he told me they wanted to call me as Priesthood Pianist I about fell out of my chair laughing. I got called to be the Priesthood Pianist the day I turned 12 years old. I could do that calling standing on my head, blindfolded, with both hands tied behind my back (I could play with my tongue and still be good enough for accompanying the droning men). I told him I would do it as a "freebie" - that they didn't even need to release me from my existing calling (I could play the song in opening exercises and then go and join my wife in Primary). The 2C said that there are plenty of active people so that nobody needs to have two callings so they will just release me from primary teacher anyway.

Man, I love my ward - from a totally cakewalk calling into an even cakewalkier calling. Sunday only. No preparation required. Heck, I don't even have to prepary a primary lesson every other week like I did with the primary calling. 2C even said I could continue to help my wife with her class during sharing time which means I don't have to go to Sunday School! Priesthood Pianist is about as good as it gets.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Priesthood pianist?

Curse you.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

You're living large. Where do you live?
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Our priesthood piantist is also in the primary and is assistant scoutmaster, as well as being a student and poor.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Our priesthood piantist is also in the primary and is assistant scoutmaster, as well as being a student and poor.
Texas isn't looking so great right now.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

By the way, BFM. All that talk about nobody having two callings is a dodge. They are just trying to put you where you will do the least amount of damage.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
You're living large. Where do you live?
I live in the lovely metropolis of South Jordan Utah although I'm currently typing this from Golden, CO where I'm here for a day on business.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
By the way, BFM. All that talk about nobody having two callings is a dodge. They are just trying to put you where you will do the least amount of damage.
Ahh, now it's making sense. They don't want me messing with all those impressionable young minds in the primary.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently am required to give reports on the athletic accomplishments of our ward members. Because that basically involves only my family, I suppose my ward obligations are the cushiest yet.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 AM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I got released as Ward Mission Leader on Sunday that was a good thing.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote