cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #31
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
but I have to ask the very intelligent BYU fans here: Deep down, don't you wish Bronco would not say things like this?

<http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=660255>
I think that you folks need to view Mendenhall as our Rick Majerus. Mendenhall says odd things because he is an odd duck. If one wishes to look more socially normal or acceptable then my guess is they wish Mendenhall would look that way, but most folks who are fans of BYU probably are not particularly concerned with how others view them. It is a weird place and it comes with the territory. In time one just no longer gives a shit about how others view BYU.

As a BYU fan there is an awful lot to just adore about Mendenhall, similar to how you folks felt about Majerus. Above the winning Mendenhall just gets at Utenation's core. His use of religion with football, and the success he attributes to the intermingling of these seemingly mutually exclusive entities, just antagonizes you folks like no other. I apologize for finding such entertainment value in how he has brought you folks to your knees, but it was about time a BYU coach could get at your core.

In the end I don't even think those of us who pay strict attention to Mendenhall really understand him. Not that he isn't honest as I think he is one of the most upfront coaches around, just that the dude is one complex and strange fellow.

As far as Mendenhall and my opinion of his weirdness. It bothered me early as I thought it could negatively impact recruiting and result in BYU not having a good football program. The facts so far seem to indicate that is just not the case. He appears to be recruiting as well as BYU has for a very long time and his methods have cut down on the attrition that was killing BYU's program. If his weird personality can continue to recruit the level of players and assistant coaches it has then I want him to be weird.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

if bronco puts out a crappy product, then it bothers me.

if he puts out a good product, I don't care.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #33
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I think there is some overvaluing of how "worked up" Ute fans are by Bronco.
I don't. I cannot think of a BYU coach who gets deeper into the core of Ute fans than Mendenhall. I don't know if the word hate is appropriate, but the bitterness towards Mendenhall is a wee bit more than just rivalry mocking of the opponents head coach.