cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No temptation given you...

Is it reasonable to expect gays to 1) never have gay sex, and 2) never once masturbate.

Does that fit with the idea that God doesn't give us temptation beyond what we can handle?

Any thoughts?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it any less hard to refrain from masturbation whether straight or gay? How literal are you to take the "no temptation" statement? If you take it as literally as possible, there would have been no need for an Atonement.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Why is it any less hard to refrain from masturbation whether straight or gay? How literal are you to take the "no temptation" statement? If you take it as literally as possible, there would have been no need for an Atonement.
I'm saying if you are asked to be celibate til the day you die, with no hope of ever having sex, is it reasonable to expect that person to never masturbate once?

I don't know how literal it is.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

we are seriously short of mullahs here if we can't get one person to say that this is a reasonable expectation and fits with the injunction of "no temptation given you."
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is it reasonable to expect gays to 1) never have gay sex, and 2) never once masturbate.

Does that fit with the idea that God doesn't give us temptation beyond what we can handle?

Any thoughts?
Handicapped people go without sex. Same with fat and ugly people. Nuns and monks choose to.

That response may sound cruel but my point is, there have been people since the dawn of time who have never had any hope of physical companionship. However, back in those days, I don't know how inundated they were with SEX SEX SEX all over the "media."

Experts argue that it is a very human need; yet some people face a lifetime of living without a variety of human needs.

So for a homosexual to have to live a lifetime without sexual relations probably feels cruel and unusual, but I don't think impossible is an accurate term. (But what do I know or you know, because we are both thinking outside of that box).

Here's another analogy that may sound cruel:
If a chain smoker needs to overcome smoking, he shouldn't hang out at smoke-filled bars or around smoking friends. Although it would be very difficult to escape all-things-tobacco, there are various measures he can take.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Handicapped people go without sex. Same with fat and ugly people. Nuns and monks choose to.

That response may sound cruel but my point is, there have been people since the dawn of time who have never had any hope of physical companionship. However, back in those days, I don't know how inundated they were with SEX SEX SEX all over the "media."

Experts argue that it is a very human need; yet some people face a lifetime of living without a variety of human needs.

So for a homosexual to have to live a lifetime without sexual relations probably feels cruel and unusual, but I don't think impossible is an accurate term. (But what do I know or you know, because we are both thinking outside of that box).

Here's another analogy that may sound cruel:
If a chain smoker needs to overcome smoking, he shouldn't hang out at smoke-filled bars or around smoking friends. Although it would be very difficult to escape all-things-tobacco, there are various measures he can take.
But do they not masturbate?

Incidentally, just like infants and little kids masturbate, the mentally handicapped often do as well often in indiscrete ways. Sometimes the self-stimulation is very regressed--such as "diggers", those that stimulate their anus sometimes to the point of bleeding.

Also it seems that a lot fewer of the cloth than we thought actually chose celibacy.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've always thought the logical import of this scripture meant that pretty people and people with wealth and power had more character, i.e., more abiltiy to resist temptation, because they were greatly more tempted. How is my logic not right?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also it seems that a lot fewer of the cloth than we thought actually chose celibacy.
An example of a visible exception being promoted to the rule?
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
An example of a visible exception being promoted to the rule?
how about this: a lot fewer are choosing celibacy, because a lot fewer are choosing the cloth! That's a fact that they are struggling with numbers.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
how about this: a lot fewer are choosing celibacy, because a lot fewer are choosing the cloth! That's a fact that they are struggling with numbers.
Is the celibacy vow the primary cause of reduced clergy?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote