cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Lost--the Korean episode this week

I've mentioned this before but I love how authentic Lost makes the Korean language and culture. Very impressive attention to detail. They do an excellent job translating because usually translations on TV seem to be written in English first, and then translated directly and awkwardly into the native language. Not so with Lost. It almost seems to be written in Korean by native Korean first with attention to the culture and native language, and then translated back to English.

Example: "yobo" translated Mr. Kwon and Mrs. Kwon. Jin calls Sun and calls her yobo. And they translate it "Mrs. Kwon", and she says in English it feels so strange to be caled Mrs. Kwon. Later she calls him "yobo" and they translate it Mr. Kwon. At first I thought, how stupid they're not translating the Korean right at all. But actually they were translating the intent. "Yobo" means honey or dear and is usually always used between husband and wife. So the intent and feeling is the same as calling each other Mr. Kwon and Mrs. Kwon and that was the best way to translate the intent into English.

Example 2: When Jin's mother threatened Sun, Sun said in Korean "what did you say?". The meaning wasn't in the actual words but in the way she expressed it and the body language and inflection. In English it was translated "How rude!" which would infer the same meaning.

They also do an excellent job in using honorific/respectful/casual/intimate/rude verb endings (as you probably know Japanese and Korean have a wide variety of endings that express specific meaning) that give more meaning to some of the scenes in Korean than you catch in English.

Theory on Sun's pregnancy (not my own I stole it from a Lost blog). The lover got Sun pregant off the island, but Juliet is lying to both her and Ben. She wants to be able to save Sun with her drugs and prove to Ben that she's been successful in her job in an attempt to get her off the island.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Farrah heard that the parachute girl actually said "I am not alone" in Portugese, while the pirate guy made up some lie about what she said.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Farrah heard that the parachute girl actually said "I am not alone" in Portugese, while the pirate guy made up some lie about what she said.
Yes I read that on the Lost blogs too.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Maybe I wasnt paying attention but I didn't hear portuguese....