cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Women are treated like a secretary in the corporate boardroom.

She might be talked to politely, her feelings might be heard, and she might treated politely, but once decisions are made, she is outside with no input. There aren't any secretaries in the boardroom.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.facebook.com/events/546359018724776/
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone see a woman in pants today?

I was ill and didn't make it to church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't see any pants. And I'm in an area with a lot of strong women.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
flack from who?

I don't even pay attention.

I don't even own a suit that fits.

We once had a high council guy give a talk in sacrament meeting on the need for men to wear white shirts and not "fruity" colored shirts. I was on the third row wearing a neon lime green shirt.

It's such stupidity.

In my home ward as a young man, the rule was that you had to wear a tie to pass the sacrament. Color of shirt didn't matter. At least one subsequent ward has had white shirts as a requirement.

If you go to a Melchizedek Priesthood leadership meeting in the stake, it's like a white-shirt fest.

I think a valid reason to break the clothing barrier is to blaze the way for others in the future, i.e. combat the mullahs, so that it's no big deal.
I should have added that the baptism was in Utah and I was attending because the child was a relative. And the flack came from family. I think Mormons in general get very uncomfortable with boundary pushing, and I guess this whole thing feels to many like boundary pushing.

I would say the way I dress for work and the way I dress for church are fairly equivalent in terms of being "dressed up." I wear skirts and dresses to work all the time in the summer and predomintantly pants in the winter. Obviously, this is about the weather, especially because my commute includes walking and public transportation. And I feel my dress is relatively feminine regardless of whether or not I wear pants. Never at any time when I am dressing for work do I stop to think about how I'm going to show people I am equal to a man or how I hope people don't ask me to move furniture and the like if I wear pants.

Why this doesn't translate in a Mormon ward is something that permeates the culture. . . In fact, I would say many women in skirts are often much less dressy than is appropriate for the reasons we ostensibly wear skirts, but somehow keeping the "skirt" aspect is enough. It's strange.

I did not wear pants yesterday. I honestly didn't even think about it, and I don't recall anyone I saw wearing them.

Our bishop does talk regularly, from the pulpit, about the boys wearing white shirts. It irritates me, and I've complained about it. I've been told that the motive is to prepare them for missions. Mmm-hmm. Ok.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost none of the boys in my ward growing up wore white shirts. It was not part of our ward's culture. Yet myself and all the contemporary boys (save for one) went on missions.

It may be that testimony is more important than dress.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Due to a baby blessing I attended two wards, one in the south end of Salt Lake county and the other in Davis county. Did not see one woman in pants, even though my wife were intently looking out of curiosity. Considering that other wards shared those buildings, which meant additional women were roaming the hallways, we saw at least 200 women but one one pair of slacks. Which raises the question, did women who normally wear slacks or dress suits make it a point not to yesterday?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

It may be that testimony is more important than dress.

Don't go all crazy on us Mike.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
Viking

Viking is on a distinguished road

This is an odd way to express rebellion. I'd simply bear my testimony of the truthfulness of equal treatment
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

The latest mock protest that I've caught wind of is adults eating Cheerios in Sacrament Meeting this Sunday. Something to do with children unfairly being given preferential treatment in scripture.