cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU vs. Utah State 2010

I pride myself on having some basketball knowledge. Because it's the sport that I have personally invested the most in. However, I feel like my analysis is going to be somewhat handicapped. Because I can't tell who the damn players are in standard definition!!! It occurred to me that I have not watched anything in SD in a long time.

I only caught the last 12 minutes of the game. Utah State was jobbed by the refs. Hate to see the game come down to a call like that, which was arguably a 4-6 point swing. When Tai Wesley was called for swinging the elbows. I actually have a small connection to the Wesley family, so I think it's kind of cool that they have had this much success.

Another thing that stood out was Fredette really struggling to create his own shot. And taking bad low-percentage shots. If the offense is going to be Fredette dribbling around and the other guys alternatively picking on his guy and standing around, that is not going to be good.

Didn't get a good read on Kyle Collinsworth. I did notice that he couldn't guard his man, as he got something like 4 fouls in a row when his man had the ball on the floor.

Is Davies hurt? How come he didn't play?

Lots of guys missing open shots, esp. at the 3 point line.

Utah State is pretty good, so this win will help the RPI. But given that it was at the Marriott Center, I expected a little bit more. Based on what I saw, on a neutral floor, I'm not sure I pick BYU to win.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jay Drew seems pretty spot-on in his analysis.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby...-foul.html.csp

Poor shooting, very few assists = bad offense. It's also bizarre that Davies starts against FSU then plays only 1 minute against Utah State in a backup role. I don't get that.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jock-sniffer-Y'zguy type operating the scoreboard.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab-287264

Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

the team needs to make a lot of progress.

No interior defense, very little shooting support in tight games, and then Jimmer will either shoot lights out or hog the ball.

We need another player to step up.