cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Remember the Salt Lake Trappers?

Today marks the 20th anniversary of "The Streak", the longest winning streak in pro-baseball history. A record set by a bunch of baseball rejects, none of whom made it to the Bigs but ended up in the Hall anyway.

Still being a little leaguer at the time, it was a pretty exciting thing for me. Saw alot of ball games at the old Derks Field that summer. Anyway, this is a good read.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6466955
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Yep,,,I still have that copy of Sports Illustrated in the hard plastic.

Has Vinny Testaverde on the front cover in his newly drafted Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniform.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Today marks the 20th anniversary of "The Streak", the longest winning streak in pro-baseball history. A record set by a bunch of baseball rejects, none of whom made it to the Bigs but ended up in the Hall anyway.

Still being a little leaguer at the time, it was a pretty exciting thing for me. Saw alot of ball games at the old Derks Field that summer. Anyway, this is a good read.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6466955
Yes, I remember it well. There was even a radio station back in NY that picked up the feed of the broadcast for the record setting win (#29) that I got to listen to.

A few of my teammates hopped and I on a train and went to a fun little bar in the Bronx (I don't remember what it was called) and listened to the game with the rowdies that were there. One of the guys I was with informed everyone that I was from Salt Lake and I was wearing a Trappers hat, so all the folks started to pull for the Trappers and were buying me drinks (Cokes, of course) all night. Fun times.

I believe the Trappers went on to finish up with 31 or 32 wins before they lost and that the record has since been broken.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yes, I remember it well. There was even a radio station back in NY that picked up the feed of the broadcast for the record setting win (#29) that I got to listen to.

A few of my teammates hopped and I on a train and went to a fun little bar in the Bronx (I don't remember what it was called) and listened to the game with the rowdies that were there. One of the guys I was with informed everyone that I was from Salt Lake and I was wearing a Trappers hat, so all the folks started to pull for the Trappers and were buying me drinks (Cokes, of course) all night. Fun times.

I believe the Trappers went on to finish up with 31 or 32 wins before they lost and that the record has since been broken.
Cool story.

Oh, and nice avatar.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote