cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road
Default International Baccalaureate Program

Does anyone know anything about the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in High School? My son is finishing up his Freshman year, within the next half year or so he needs to decide whether he wants to go into the aP "track" or enter the IB program. I had never heard about this before this year, and am still not that familiar with it. Does anyone have experience with it? Specifically, I'd like to find out things like:

- In general, do universities prefer IB, AP, or are they equal?
- Can you get college credit through IB? Is it easier/harder than with AP classes?
- Is IB better for certain types of students? (Those who want to study internationally, etc.)

Any info is appreciated.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

It was many moons ago that I was in an IB program. At the time the program, if completed, could result in credit allowing one to enter some colleges (at thew time mostly east coast private, as I recall) as a sophomore. I did not complete it, instead returning from living abroad for my last two years of HS in Utah. Because of the IB program I was so far ahead of the students at my Utah HS that I almost literally did nothing for 2 years, which I now sort of regret although at the time it was pretty nice.

Sadly, typing was not a class in the IB program.