cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I don't know about you guys, but in day to day life I rarely have the opportunity to talk about the sort of things that are discussed here...
There may only be a small handfull of us who do. Being in law school helps. Another good way to have these kinds of conversations is to marry someone from "the other party."

I was raised a Repub, Mrs. Hippie was raised a Dem.

Mrs. Hippie is a woman of science and logic, I am more into philosophy literature and other BS.

I don't think talking to people on CB is weird. Ever since I moved away from SLC, the ONLY way I talk to anybody other than the people in my class is via the internet.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I look at the board as part of my social circle.

Life is busy:

Spouse
Kids
Work
YM President
Hockey Booster Club President
Soccer Coach
Student

I do all of these things on a full time basis. So, I barely have time to conversate with people outside of these activities.

I may be wierd, but for as busy as I am, this is the social circle I have chosen to spend time in.

My wife is cool with it though. If I ask for advice on the boards or give advice on the boards, I will show the wife what some of the people think. She doesn't think I am a geek or anything. I still get action you know.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

CB and CG are the Mormon guy's equivalent of the corner pub.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are we all a little strange?

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:44 AM   #15
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We are married to the same woman ... and the answer to your question is most certainly!
I've always felt polygamy works better the other way.

Quote:
she might be surprised if you inform her that one of your internet comrades has a pecker the size of Las Vegas
You saying you should have chosen "toucan" rather than "robin"? Or is there really truth in advertising here? :wink:

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
she might be surprised if you inform her that one of your internet comrades has a pecker the size of Las Vegas

You saying you should have chosen "toucan" rather than "robin"? Or is there really truth in advertising here?
Unless he has a road map the size of a house, a vegas sized beak would certainly surprise, although perhaps not impress.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Being relatively new to internet message boards (joined CG in ~September) I am still a bit of a "closet" poster. I have yet to publicly reconcile myself to fact that I enjoy conversting with others via the internet, and have gained some valuable insights through some of your posts.

My co-workers walk by my desk and see these weird pictures, and knowing even less about the web than I think I am browsing some freak show web site (see Cougjunkies old avatar).

I also have very little opportunity to speak with other people throughout the day about subjects that I enjoy. My co-workers are more interested in what's on sale at Old Navy or what Jennifer Aniston is wearing in the new People magazine. My patients are typically more interested in their prescription drugs or how many bowel movements they had over the weekend. Sports rarely comes up. I prefer religion to not come up in casual converstation. I also have to be guarded with political talk considering the nature of my employment status. Conversation at home typically veers toward the kids/scheduling.

In the end, its a welcome diversion during or at the end of the day to log on to CG and see what the guys (and gals) are up to. Maybe someday I'll get up the courage to come out of the closet and openly admit to others and to myself that I'm okay with being online. At least I can find some comfort in the fact that this site's chat room is dead and that I'm not a chat room guy. At least not yet.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
My patients are typically more interested in their prescription drugs or how many bowel movements they had over the weekend.
Well this is par for the course. Rarely does a conversation among (mostly) males go very long before someone starts talking about bowel movements. At least that's my experience with my closest male companionship: my 10- and 6-year-old sons.

This place allows me to occasionally reach beyond that.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote