cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Hawaii - We tried to schedule...

I'm calling bullcrap. And you Hawaii supporters are just lapping it up. First of all, it's NEVER been difficult traditionally for Hawaii to get a big eastern school to come to the islands.

I rarely buy the "teams are afraid to play us" argument. Sure, there's been some pussification of college football, but nobody's afraid of a home and home with Boise or Hawaii. They're afraid what their bottom line is going to look like after playing in a 30K seat stadium or flying everyone to the islands.

We tried to schedule Michigan at the big house is a load of crap as well. None of you was there for the negotiations. Maybe we should lob LSU and Florida a call every year offering them a 2 (in Provo) for 1, then when they turn it down, we can schedule Eastern Washington. "But we tried to schedule Florida, blah, blah, blah"

Finally, I don't care who you tried to play. I care who you did play, and how you played them. Hawaii failed in both these departments. In 2004, Utah played some decent OOC games. None of them were gangbusters, but they throttled everybody. They clearly deserved a BCS bid. Had Hawaii defeated all their crappy opposition by a minimum of 2 TDs, I might have bought in, but the played some down to the wire games (2 OTs) against some just plain AWFUL competition. They proved they were unworthy, but because of the zero in the loss column, you idiots took them hook line and sinker.

You were wrong, and they were comical in the Sugar Bowl.

Game, set, match Judge Smails.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
I'm calling bullcrap. And you Hawaii supporters are just lapping it up. First of all, it's NEVER been difficult traditionally for Hawaii to get a big eastern school to come to the islands.

I rarely buy the "teams are afraid to play us" argument. Sure, there's been some pussification of college football, but nobody's afraid of a home and home with Boise or Hawaii. They're afraid what their bottom line is going to look like after playing in a 30K seat stadium or flying everyone to the islands.

We tried to schedule Michigan at the big house is a load of crap as well. None of you was there for the negotiations. Maybe we should lob LSU and Florida a call every year offering them a 2 (in Provo) for 1, then when they turn it down, we can schedule Eastern Washington. "But we tried to schedule Florida, blah, blah, blah"

Finally, I don't care who you tried to play. I care who you did play, and how you played them. Hawaii failed in both these departments. In 2004, Utah played some decent OOC games. None of them were gangbusters, but they throttled everybody. They clearly deserved a BCS bid. Had Hawaii defeated all their crappy opposition by a minimum of 2 TDs, I might have bought in, but the played some down to the wire games (2 OTs) against some just plain AWFUL competition. They proved they were unworthy, but because of the zero in the loss column, you idiots took them hook line and sinker.

You were wrong, and they were comical in the Sugar Bowl.

You're a joke.

Nobody "deserves" a BCS bowl. Bowls have the right to select who they want to play. Until you take out the bowls right to select a lower ranked team over a higher ranked team, there never should even be a discussion of what is "fair" about a BCS bowl game. It's their party, they can do whatever they want with it. Complaining that a BCS school got the shaft due to a non-BCS school sneaking in is a complete joke. Prior to this year, we've had two non-BCS schools make a BCS bowl (I'll define as one of the major four bowls) out of the 240 possible slots over the previous 30 years. Their record was 2-0. So it's definitely "fair" for non-BCS'ers to get a little more action.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Judge Smails

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You're a joke.

Nobody "deserves" a BCS bowl. Bowls have the right to select who they want to play. Until you take out the bowls right to select a lower ranked team over a higher ranked team, there never should even be a discussion of what is "fair" about a BCS bowl game. It's their party, they can do whatever they want with it. Complaining that a BCS school got the shaft due to a non-BCS school sneaking in is a complete joke. Prior to this year, we've had two non-BCS schools make a BCS bowl (I'll define as one of the major four bowls) out of the 240 possible slots over the previous 30 years. Their record was 2-0. So it's definitely "fair" for non-BCS'ers to get a little more action.
Clearly you're looking for fairness. I can deal with that and will move on.

Hawaii sucks however.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Judge Smails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Listen, there's no doubt I've got issues, possibly even OCD, but it's a little ironic for a guy with about 60,000 posts in the last 7(??) years to point it out. If 7 years is the number, that's better than 23 posts a day.

Certainly, somebody's obsessed.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

At least I have the ability to discuss other topics rather than carnally violate the same dead horse over and over again.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I love it when people call their own number in a debate. It's so ... Lebowskiesque.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Judge Smails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
At least I have the ability to discuss other topics rather than carnally violate the same dead horse over and over again.
I would certainly hope if I was wasting my life away on Cougar Board with 60K posts, I'd have some variety too. Kudos to you.

Seriously, a friend of mine and I will be debating something, and inevitably one of us will say "let's ask Indy Coug".

You seem like a nice guy, and I appreciate your general optimism (I too supported Crowton a lot longer than I should have - let's keep that quiet), but it's amazing to me how much time you spend on these message boards. I'd have taken up a more fulfilling hobby a long time ago - like heroin.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm calling bullcrap.

We tried to schedule Michigan at the big house is a load of crap as well. None of you was there for the negotiations. Maybe we should lob LSU and Florida a call every year offering them a 2 (in Provo) for 1, then when they turn it down, we can schedule Eastern Washington. "But we tried to schedule Florida, blah, blah, blah".
You honestly believe that Hawaii's AD is publically lying about his attempts to schedule a single away game with Michigan in Ann Arbor, when he knows that Michigan can easily dispute his claim?

Wow, you make some good points at times, but this belief demonstrates your inability to be rational about this.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote