cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #81
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You might be surprised by the results. (although I'm not worried about Lingo flashing a Mensa card).
I'm too densa for mensa.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #82
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Usually I'll avoid discussions on the intellect discussion, but the models of intellect are these: SIEQ, Pelagius, Mike Waters, Solon, AA, Jeff Lebowski, Creekster and Seattle [there are probably others including Indy in certain statistical matters and yourself in those matters]. In fact, you will not find me trumpeting my skill or expertise in anything. Perhaps in 11,000 posts you could find something of a joke, but I challenge you.
You should swap me out and put Goatnapper in my place. Don't let that Idaho background fool you. The guy's a genius.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #83
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You might be surprised by the results. (although I'm not worried about Lingo flashing a Mensa card).
I think my guess would be pretty good, actually.

Most likely Mensa: Pelgaius, Goatnapper (edit: i see Lebowski beat me on that one)
Most likely not: Rocky, JL (sorry guys but I'm having a "offend everyone" day) edit: clarification lingo not the dude

There are definitely a lot of smart guys here, but there are also a lot that have an over inflated view of their own intellect compared to others. I also think there's a major disconnect on logic vs intellect that many here miss. If I'm analyzing various theories and opinions, give me someone with impeccable logic even if there is little formal education over someone with a great amount of specialized study.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #84
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

While everyone is falling all over each other to get either on or off the "intellectual pedestal," I'm over here all by my lonesome on the "jerk, racist, bigoted, misogynistic, hate-filled pedestal."

Anyone care to join my elite group?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #85
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think my guess would be pretty good, actually.

Most likely Mensa: Pelgaius, Goatnapper (edit: i see Lebowski beat me on that one)
Most likely not: Rocky, JL (sorry guys but I'm having a "offend everyone" day) edit: clarification lingo not the dude

There are definitely a lot of smart guys here, but there are also a lot that have an over inflated view of their own intellect compared to others. I also think there's a major disconnect on logic vs intellect that many here miss. If I'm analyzing various theories and opinions, give me someone with impeccable logic even if there is little formal education over someone with a great amount of specialized study.

There are so many types of intelligence that this sort of ranking is usually pretty pointless. It's like choosing the correct tool, you need the type of person that is smart in the appropriate way.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #86
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Histrionics
Hysterical
Hysterectomy

I see similarities. Who is the board etymologist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Yes, they all are derived from the same Greek root.
Two out of three. Histrionics is from Latin's histrio = actor or performer. Histrionics are overly dramatic or exaggerated actions.

Hystera (Greek: ὑστέρα) refers to a woman's womb (basically the same world as uterus). Hysterics - to an ancient Greek - occurred when a woman's womb caused her trouble. A hysterectomy is a cutting (tomy) out (ec) of the uterus (hyster).

I'll see all of you for Greek 001 in the Spring.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #87
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You should swap me out and put Goatnapper in my place. Don't let that Idaho background fool you. The guy's a genius.
I think I'm just getting a nod because the real Solon was one of the Seven Sages of ancient Greece. Talk about bigoted stereotyping!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #88
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
There are so many types of intelligence that this sort of ranking is usually pretty pointless. It's like choosing the correct tool, you need the type of person that is smart in the appropriate way.
And there's no shortage of tools in this shed.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #89
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Two out of three. Histrionics is from Latin's histrio = actor or performer. Histrionics are overly dramatic or exaggerated actions.

Hystera (Greek: ὑστέρα) refers to a woman's womb (basically the same world as uterus). Hysterics - to an ancient Greek - occurred when a woman's womb caused her trouble. A hysterectomy is a cutting (tomy) out (ec) of the uterus (hyster).

I'll see all of you for Greek 001 in the Spring.
Well done!

The ancient Greeks were misogynists.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #90
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default As one who communes with

Boise St fans, I have an extremely magnified perception of my own intelligence.

I feel much like Jane Goodall.