cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am disappointed in the way...

the WC ended, and let me give three reasons why:

a. I hate the way Italy plays

b. The best team of the tourney did not win

c. The French side bracket had, by far, the better teams of the tourney

My top 5 team list:

1. Brasil-Coaching lacked, and if they would have played the way they did in the last 15 minutes of the France game they would have beaten France by two goals. If they would have played half as good as they did in the last 15 mins of the France game the whole tourney, nobody would have even touched them. (Ghana was about 5 feet away from scoring multiple times against Brasil)

2. France-They progressively got better, and were playing great football by the end of the tourney. I think, in the championship game, they dominated Italy and outplayed them in most aspects. Barthez proved to be their liability and even though he has had multiple shutouts in WC play, it is due more to their defenders, than to his keeping.

3. Argentina-Even though I dislike the Argentines, I think they play a pretty game. They had solid strikers, a solid keep, a solid defense, and were unlucky to lose in a shootout. It will be interesting to watch this team as they have plenty of experienced youth.

4. Portugal-I think the red card on Rooney, affected Ronaldo in the game against France. He had some beautiful runs, but looked disinterested at times, and looked tentative to take fouls, or aggressive runs. Their keep played quite well and they are a well coached team.

5. Italy-I don't like how they play offensively, I don't like the shirt pulling, I don't like fouls, I don't like how they bog down the flow, and I don't like how they score goals. I think they benefitted by playing in an overrated group, and had an easy draw into the finals, seriously a shame they won the Cup.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree since I tend to believe the better team wins in the end, even if my penalty kicks.

My major disappointment/frustration was with the ESPN crew. Typical American Johnny-come-lately we-open-our-mouths-and-prove-what-fools-we-are approach. They were ga ga over Zidane, which wasn't hard given how he played against Brazil. But I recall Musberger calling him a "maestro" and then last night there were continued references to whether or not Zidane could pull out or manufacture a French victory. I think we Americans are too used to individual effort having a greater impact on the outcome of our sporting events (a la basketball and football). I thought this idea that Zidane was going to somehow take over the match and produce a victory for France was silly.

The worst, however, was when one of the guys, watching Italy celebrate their victory, turns to Julie Foudy and notes how she must know what Italy is feeling at that point. I about barfed. Comparing The World Cup to the women's event was too much. A little perspective, please.

Okay, now someone call me a chauvinist.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what were you doing listening to the American announcers? Balboa makes me throw up in my mouth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
The worst, however, was when one of the guys, watching Italy celebrate their victory, turns to Julie Foudy and notes how she must know what Italy is feeling at that point. I about barfed. Comparing The World Cup to the women's event was too much. A little perspective, please.

Okay, now someone call me a chauvinist.
Chauvinist.

Ok, seriously-- Obviously women's soccer is not on the same level as men's. But the U.S. Women have won the World Cup, and that was a pretty exciting moment. Foudy's insight to the moment is more pertinent than turning to Alexi Lalas and asking what it was like to win the... World Cup? No. Olympics? No. Hmmm.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
fuegote

fuegote

Agreed waters, the South American guys on Univision were fantastic throughout the tourny.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
Agreed waters, the South American guys on Univision were fantastic throughout the tourny.
I only watched games on Univision, the American dudes were far too negative for my tests.

In America we want a scapegoat, and a hero, as any educated soccer fan knows, not every game has a specific scapegoat, nor a specific hero and so our announcers struggle with a game that has neither.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters
Chauvinist.

Ok, seriously-- Obviously women's soccer is not on the same level as men's. But the U.S. Women have won the World Cup, and that was a pretty exciting moment. Foudy's insight to the moment is more pertinent than turning to Alexi Lalas and asking what it was like to win the... World Cup? No. Olympics? No. Hmmm.
Touche.

You're right about limited options on the men's side. Perhaps it was time to let the Italians have their day. Not everything needs to be linked to something American.

Rant over.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Fus - I only have this to say about your post:

Forza Italia!

Dang, I wish that white would stand out for better effect.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Fus - I only have this to say about your post:

Forza Italia!

Dang, I wish that white would stand out for better effect.
Ok, not a huge fan of Italy, but HA HA HA, THE FRENCH LOST!!!!
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the opportunity to follow games in five different countries/four languages, as I was on business in The Netherregions. I was amazed by how little they throw stats on the screen in Europe. I watched games on BBC, Dutch2 and German tv and the only stats they really posted during the game were ouls or corner kicks about two times each during the entire match. In the US, we always have to be telling a story. And I guess I expected it to be more like Spanish broadcasts where the announcers are going crazy, but all three were fairly calm, giving very little detail of the play-by-play. Compare that to listening on Spanish radio and you didn't have a chance to breath.

Watched Dutch, German, British and US telecasts. Listened to Spanish from Mexico. Pretty cool, I think.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote