cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default careful what you say about your kids

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042203635.html

CPS is so important and so lousy at the same time, especially in DC.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't take that article at face value. You are only getting the version from the mother.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wouldn't take that article at face value. You are only getting the version from the mother.
what if she's right? In a US that keeps giving more and more power to government, I can see these kinds of things happening more often.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

Quote:
I was speaking more generally. I would assume the medical professionals had reasons to do what they did. But it looks like they were incorrect in the end. The article criticizes the mandatory reporting practices more than anything, as I read it. And who wants to do away with those.

I'm sure it happens in many big cities, but DC has had its share of common, grisly, gruesome CPS-related stories in the past few years.

I don't know that a more limited government is the answer, at least not with our society the way it is now. Plus, with CPS, we're taking about the state, not the feds.

We used to take care of each other's children better than we do now. Our church family isn't particularly better. There are at least two families in my ward where the state has custody, and I have no idea where the kids are. They certainly aren't with local members, and they aren't at church.

Why we--as LDS--don't take a larger role in helping alleviate the burdens on the state foster care systems is a question I think about a lot. Perhaps the subject for another thread.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Why we--as LDS--don't take a larger role in helping alleviate the burdens on the state foster care systems is a question I think about a lot. Perhaps the subject for another thread.
I've brought this up before.

It's for the same reason that you and I both aren't foster parents right now. It's a huge, huge commitment.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
what if she's right? In a US that keeps giving more and more power to government, I can see these kinds of things happening more often.
I would bet your a large chunk of change that she was reported for more than "I wanted a girl."

We get a hint with the suggestion that she grossly neglected the baby in the hospital. If she did grossly neglect the baby, we are then told it was because she was doped up.

Well, it was obviously enough to cause concern, and likely she was an aberrant in mother behavior.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
RedHeadGal

Quote:
I've brought this up before.

It's for the same reason that you and I both aren't foster parents right now. It's a huge, huge commitment.
It's too hard? I want to and plan to become a foster parent. I expect it to be hard. Someone has to bear the burdens, regardless.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
It's too hard? I want to and plan to become a foster parent. I expect it to be hard. Someone has to bear the burdens, regardless.
I've known a couple. Old friend of mine, couple years older than me, sent a foster son on a mission a few years ago. Couple in my ward in Houston fostered a kid and adopted him/her (maybe it was two kids).

Given my son's issues, I don't think it is in the works for us anytime soon.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
RedHeadGal

Quote:
I've known a couple. Old friend of mine, couple years older than me, sent a foster son on a mission a few years ago. Couple in my ward in Houston fostered a kid and adopted him/her (maybe it was two kids).

Given my son's issues, I don't think it is in the works for us anytime soon.
There are many legitimate reasons why many people can't do it, at least in the near term. Fine. But there have to be some who could, and who could do it well, and what guidance or encouragement have you ever heard about that?

over half a million kids in foster care, as we both know.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Heck, I'm scoutmaster/ym 2nd couns/DQ advisor--I already feel like a foster parent.

Being a foster parent seems like a great way to leverage your influence in a significant way.