cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Hellavan article re new Psalms translation

This article is really enlightening re Bilblical translations in general as well as a most interesting review of the new Psalms translation by, Robert Alter, the same gentlement who did the celebrated translation of the Pentateuch a couple years back.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...rbo_books_wood

The article will make you appreciate the KJV more, for all its poetic license with the Hebrew. Many passages in the article itself, penned by James Wood, are wonderful. I especially liked the opening, which made me think of some recent discussions here.

"What is God like? Is he merciful, just, loving, vengeful, jealous? Is he a bodiless force, a cool watchmaker, or a hot interventionist, a doer with big opinions, a busy chap up in Heaven? Does he, for instance, approve of charity and disapprove of adultery? Or are these attributes instead like glass baubles that we throw against the statue of his invisibility, inevitably shattering into mere words? The medieval Jewish thinker Maimonides thought that it was futile to belittle God by giving him human attributes; to do so was to commit what later philosophers would call a category mistake. We cannot describe his essence; better to worship in reverent silence. "'Silence is praise to thee,' Maimonides wrote, quoting from the second verse of Psalm 65."

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-08-2007 at 06:25 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This article is really enlightening re Bilblical translations in general as well as a most interesting review of the new Psalms translation by, Robert Alter, the same gentlement who did the celebrated translation of the Pentateuch a couple years back.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...rbo_books_wood

The article will make you appreciate the KJV more, for all its poetic license with the Hebrew. Many passages in the article itself, penned by James Wood, are wonderful. I especially liked the opening, which made me think of some recent discussions here.

"What is God like? Is he merciful, just, loving, vengeful, jealous? Is he a bodiless force, a cool watchmaker, or a hot interventionist, a doer with big opinions, a busy chap up in Heaven? Does he, for instance, approve of charity and disapprove of adultery? Or are these attributes instead like glass baubles that we throw against the statue of his invisibility, inevitably shattering into mere words? The medieval Jewish thinker Maimonides thought that it was futile to belittle God by giving him human attributes; to do so was to commit what later philosophers would call a category mistake. We cannot describe his essence; better to worship in reverent silence. "Silence is praise to thee,' Maimonides wrote, quoting from the second verse of Psalm 65."
Thanks for sharing that. It was a good article. In my wildest dreams, when I'm overseeing the definitive translation of the Bible, I put my ace translator on the Psalms material. The psalms are very difficult, both because their poetic qualities are inseperable from their meaning and because they are quoted and extensively alluded to in the NT. A strict word-for-word translation, like the NASB, butchers the Psalms.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Thanks for sharing that. It was a good article. In my wildest dreams, when I'm overseeing the definitive translation of the Bible, I put my ace translator on the Psalms material. The psalms are very difficult, both because their poetic qualities are inseperable from their meaning and because they are quoted and extensively alluded to in the NT. A strict word-for-word translation, like the NASB, butchers the Psalms.
Yes, it's like the Iliad or the Odyssey or the Divine Comedy. The translator himself must be a poet, and to just trot out a rote translation does not itself do the original Hebrew justice.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-08-2007 at 06:53 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote