cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 2nd meeting comes to a close...

Well, we were supposed to have a shakedown. Except no one brought a single piece of equipment.

Not a single piece of scouting apparel on any of the boys.

Fair enough, we went into our activity. Learn how to do a tripod lashing, then split the boys into two groups, and see who can set up a tripod with kettle and mock fire the fastest.

Well, the subtext is that the ragamuffins refused to participate. We were outside at a park near the church, so they mocked the boys, then played on swings. Member boys muttering under their breath. Some of our boys saying "you say anything about my sister again, I'll..."

I mean, we are probably looking at breaking up a fight in the future.

THe most troubled member boy is the only one who seems to live these neighborhood kids, and largely did not participate in the activity (not a good sign).

Well, I got the boys into the activity, and afterwards I had them plan a menu for the campout.

The young men's president, who makes Job seem impatient, finally told the ragamuffins, "If you don't want to participate, you are not welcome here."

They have broken into the church, they regularly unlock windows to get into the church later, they swear, they are disruptive, and are constantly disrespectful. I even raised my voice once, "Have a little respect, okay!"

I'm trying to get these boys to be independent, to start to be responsible, instead of waiting to be hand-fed.

I still don't have an official asst. scoutmaster. I'm worried about the list we went over, of possible candidates. The only one I think could gel with is the one least likely to accept (non-member lawyer).

This is an expensive calling, compared to most. I'm afraid that there will be some people that literally can't afford to be an asst. scoutmaster (at least my vision of it--uniform, etc.). Am I supposed to pay for the gas to drive 400 miles roundtrip for summer camp? It starts to add up after a while.

Having just been in the bishopric as Ex. Secr. I know that something like Asst. Scoutmaster is not only not on the radar, it isn't on the map.

The most positive thing going for me is that we have 14-16 yr olds still interested in scouting, advancement, etc.

Now I need to think of something to do for our next meeting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem about three years ago and then decided with the YM pres to have a video game night. We increased our turnout by 50% that night and teh guys loved it. That was about 3 weeks before a campout and it carried over. We had an awesome snow campout with about a dozen guys, half of which never came to scouts.

I'm not saying that's the solution to your situation, just saying that kids hate tying knots when the parents hate tying knots.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Tying knots for the sake of tying knots can be boring. But when it has a practical component, it becomes more relevant. IMO.

The last video game night was very controversial, and led to complaints to the Bishopric (I was not in YM at that time, but heard about it as Exec. Sec). While maybe that could a be YM's activity, I don't see that as a scouting activity.

But your point of fun and bonding, of course, is correct.

I'd be very popular if we just played basketball every meeting. But that's not going to happen.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Tying knots for the sake of tying knots can be boring. But when it has a practical component, it becomes more relevant. IMO.

The last video game night was very controversial, and led to complaints to the Bishopric (I was not in YM at that time, but heard about it as Exec. Sec). While maybe that could a be YM's activity, I don't see that as a scouting activity.

But your point of fun and bonding, of course, is correct.

I'd be very popular if we just played basketball every meeting. But that's not going to happen.

You're in a tough situation. It reminds me of when we lived in Toronto (we are now out in the burbs). Our building was located directly across the street from one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in that part of the city (namely a massive low cost gov. housing building).

We had the very same problem you have experienced with break-ins in to play ball in the gym etc., especially in the summers. Ultimately the situation required the Bishop ;-) to take a hard line against the neighborhood boys. A zero tolerance policy was put into place that even included a call to police to patrol our parking lot frequently.

This policy was only effective because a considerable amount of kindness and friendliness had already been extended ... the invite the neighborhood boys to participate in the hopes they would join in type of kindness and friendliness! After a while, and the more your kindness is taken advantage of, tough love becomes the only answer … especially after you have already gone to great lengths to be friendly and kind.

One question -is the bishopric regularly attending Young Men’s, including scouts? They are supposed to attend regularly, and act as your assistant … that will light a fire under them to call someone in a hurry :-p
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Am I supposed to pay for the gas to drive 400 miles roundtrip for summer camp? It starts to add up after a while.
No, you're not. Make sure you turn in the reimbursement form for your gas.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Talked to the YM's president today. The outsider kids will not be allowed in Wed's activity, he has decided. (That is Duty to God night).

So I expect things to quiet down a little.