cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
OK, what variables do you propose may affect that %?
First, observations are anecdotal, so it's not scientific, but let's imagine the personal selection has something to do with it.

Those naturally inclined to question or those who have lost faith gravitate to the fringe of theology perhaps, so the study thereof does not cause apostasy but somebody who has already lost faith gravitates there.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #22
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
First, observations are anecdotal, so it's not scientific, but let's imagine the personal selection has something to do with it.

Those naturally inclined to question or those who have lost faith gravitate to the fringe of theology perhaps, so the study thereof does not cause apostasy but somebody who has already lost faith gravitates there.

Endogeneity, everyone knows that. But what reason do we have to believe that those who lose their faith are more likely to gravitate toward theology than science? Especially since aspiring ministers study theology.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 09-28-2007 at 11:45 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #23
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From my experience theology/religious studies departments have a much higher % of atheists than science depts.
I agree. I think scientists are more likely to be agnostics, but maybe less likely to be atheists than someone in a religious studies department.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #24
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Endogeneity, everyone knows that. But what reason do we have to believe that those who lose their faith are more likely to gravitate toward theology than science? Especially since aspiring ministers study theology.
You guys think too much sometimes. You seemed to me to be suggesting that the study of theology makes you apostate because it is all BS and so leads you away from the truth, as opposed to science, which is not BS. An laterntate explanation for the causality that immediately suggested itslef to me is that the study of tehology makes you apostate becasue it is BS and you realize this when you study it, while scientists aren't as likely to be apostate becasue they don't study it. I don't subscribe to this, but it just seems equally defesible as a theory.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:24 AM   #25
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
but it just seems equally defesible as a theory.
Can we please have a gentleman's agreement not to discuss future interests on this board? Some topics should just be out of bounds.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #26
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Can we please have a gentleman's agreement not to discuss future interests on this board? Some topics should just be out of bounds.
defeasible, defensible, is anyone really reading htis stuff?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #27
ChinoCoug

Quote:
You seemed to me to be suggesting that the study of theology makes you apostate because it is all BS and so leads you away from the truth, as opposed to science, which is not BS. An laterntate explanation for the causality that immediately suggested itslef to me is that the study of tehology makes you apostate becasue it is BS and you realize this when you study it, while scientists aren't as likely to be apostate becasue they don't study it. .
Those two theories aren't mutually exclusive. People realize theology is BS because they can't make a rational defense for God, so they think God must not exist. But I think the reason they can't do it is because they're methods are a bunch of warm-fuzzy BS. With science, it's a little more clear cut, so they won't go apostate as much.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #28
creekster

Quote:
Those two theories aren't mutually exclusive. People realize theology is BS because they can't make a rational defense for God, so they think God must not exist. But I think the reason they can't do it is because they're methods are a bunch of warm-fuzzy BS. With science, it's a little more clear cut, so they won't go apostate as much.
They are not necessarily exclusive but are on a specturm and at either end they would be. The point is that your assumption that there is a religious tryuth from which theologians are led away due to study is possibly incorrect; it could be that there simply is no religious truth and the study through critical reasoning of theology makes on realize this. There is certainly room for overlap. ANd, as I said bfore, I do not subscribe to the second theory.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #29
ChinoCoug

Quote:
They are not necessarily exclusive but are on a specturm and at either end they would be. The point is that your assumption that there is a religious tryuth from which theologians are led away due to study is possibly incorrect; it could be that there simply is no religious truth and the study through critical reasoning of theology makes on realize this. There is certainly room for overlap. ANd, as I said bfore, I do not subscribe to the second theory.
So the theory you describe but don't subscribe to says through critical reasoning they discover there is no religious truth. OK, but that doesn't explain why scientists don't go apostate in as large numbers. I'm just postulating that critical reasoning unaided by the scientific method will take you to BS land.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The 2 reasons I've seen people leave the church:

1. Because they've done their own studying and come to the conclusion that the stories they've been told and learned about aren't true anymore. And yes for you "intellectuals" I know it's deeper than that.

2. Because they get offended by someone or something and quit going.

Sorry for the generic and plain examples, but ultimately that's what it boils down to.

I was tempted to say.....Sin,,,,just to get the intellectual mullah's in a tizzy.