cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #21
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Things I like about camping:

1. Camraderie with friends.
2. Challenge of cooking on campouts (about the only time I ever care to cook).
3. Getting and using cool gear to make my life easier on campouts. If you are uncomfortable on your campout, then you didn't plan enough.
4. I like challenges, I like to push myself, a little bit of suffering gives me a hard-on.

I camp once a month and have camped more than 30 nights in the past year and a half.

It's great.
So you're talking about car camping - not backpacking? Or are you applying your assertion about comfort to backpacking as well? I'm not sure I would agree with your comfort assertion if applied to backpacking.

Here's what I don't get about car camping: People want to be comfortable while camping so they go to all this planning and effort to pack gear, set up big mattresses, buy camping trailers, generators, whatever. I just don't see how camping brings any joy that is worth that kind of effort. Having a cookout? Enjoying the great outdoors? You don't need to go camping to do those things. They could save a lot of time and effort by just having a cookout or enjoying the great outdoors on their back lawn.

"But, but - It's not the same!", Mr. Camper splutters. Fine. If I want to have a cookout I'll just drive up the canyon and have a cookout or dutch oven by the bubbling stream, and still sleep in my own bed, shower in my own shower, and watch Sportscenter. A better experience than anything Mr. Camper can provide. If I want to enjoy beautiful mountain scenery, I'll just take a day hike up the canyon to the lake, have a picnic, fish, frolic in the fresh mountain air, etc. and still sleep in my own comfortable bed, shower in my own shower, and watch Sportscenter. In other words, I can experience whatever joys people get from camping without all the hassle, fuss, campfire-stinky sleeping bags, dirt, bugs, equipment, etc.

I could possibly understand the appeal of backpacking, where you leave behind civilization, hike into the mountains with everything on your back, and don't run into any other people for a whole week. I can be convinced that backpacking offers experiences you can't achieve any other way. Car camping, however, just doesn't offer enough unique appeal to make up for its hassle.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 AM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoy both backpacking and car camping. I sleep fine with a bag and a thermarest sleeping pad. If that's too uncomfortable for you, well, what can I say. I refer you to GN's statement.

I also enjoy the propect of survival camping with the boys. That's fun.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I need a sleeping pill just to sleep in a hotel bed. I can't stand camping. I don't hunt either. But I watch NFL on Sunday, bbq ribs for home BYU games, and fart in front of my wife. Where does that put me? Do we need some sort of rating system?

I've found the traditional manliness rating system is a lot of times a coverup for a true pussy inside.

goatee, drives a truck, hunts--that's a sure sign of a pussy
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I need a sleeping pill just to sleep in a hotel bed. I can't stand camping. I don't hunt either. But I watch NFL on Sunday, bbq ribs for home BYU games, and fart in front of my wife. Where does that put me? Do we need some sort of rating system?

I've found the traditional manliness rating system is a lot of times a coverup for a true pussy inside.

goatee, drives a truck, hunts--that's a sure sign of a pussy
I was planning on going on a backpacking trip to Big Bend. Farrah was out of town for the week with the kids, so I slept on my living room hardwood floor for a week, in preparation.

We ended up canceling because an ice storm made the freeway impassable.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #25
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I enjoy both backpacking and car camping. I sleep fine with a bag and a thermarest sleeping pad. If that's too uncomfortable for you, well, what can I say. I refer you to GN's statement.

I also enjoy the propect of survival camping with the boys. That's fun.
Thermarest + sleeping bag = sleepless night. Like I said before, if that makes me a pussy then so be it but I still don't like camping.

Never heard of "survival camping" - what's that?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Thermarest + sleeping bag = sleepless night. Like I said before, if that makes me a pussy then so be it but I still don't like camping.

Never heard of "survival camping" - what's that?
well there are different versions. Our wussified version is this:

1. you can't bring a tent
2. you can't bring food (food, of unknown kind and quantity is provided)
Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's because Brad and I are identical twins. We were separated at birth.

P.S. Elvis is your avatar
Elvis is The King.

Brad Pitt is Jon Voight's son-in-law.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #28
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I need to do more camping and backpacking - it's one of the main reasons I moved back to Utah. Those living here are blessed with the best camping in America, in terms of close proximity to a wide and varied topography. You've got alpine wilderness and red-rock desert within a few hours. It's a shame to live here and not take advantage of it. But, it's just as well, things are crowded enough out in the great outdoors.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #29
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So you're talking about car camping - not backpacking? Or are you applying your assertion about comfort to backpacking as well? I'm not sure I would agree with your comfort assertion if applied to backpacking.

Here's what I don't get about car camping: People want to be comfortable while camping so they go to all this planning and effort to pack gear, set up big mattresses, buy camping trailers, generators, whatever. I just don't see how camping brings any joy that is worth that kind of effort. Having a cookout? Enjoying the great outdoors? You don't need to go camping to do those things. They could save a lot of time and effort by just having a cookout or enjoying the great outdoors on their back lawn.

"But, but - It's not the same!", Mr. Camper splutters. Fine. If I want to have a cookout I'll just drive up the canyon and have a cookout or dutch oven by the bubbling stream, and still sleep in my own bed, shower in my own shower, and watch Sportscenter. A better experience than anything Mr. Camper can provide. If I want to enjoy beautiful mountain scenery, I'll just take a day hike up the canyon to the lake, have a picnic, fish, frolic in the fresh mountain air, etc. and still sleep in my own comfortable bed, shower in my own shower, and watch Sportscenter. In other words, I can experience whatever joys people get from camping without all the hassle, fuss, campfire-stinky sleeping bags, dirt, bugs, equipment, etc.

I could possibly understand the appeal of backpacking, where you leave behind civilization, hike into the mountains with everything on your back, and don't run into any other people for a whole week. I can be convinced that backpacking offers experiences you can't achieve any other way. Car camping, however, just doesn't offer enough unique appeal to make up for its hassle.
The appeal of car camping is sitting around the fire until 2am shootin' the shit with your buddies.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of my greatest memories as a 10-15 year old kid with my dad are from when we would spend a week in the high Uintas doing nothing but fishing in one of the many small lakes and eating what we pulled out of the water.

That and spending time wandering around Boulder Mountain looking for Bambi and blowing him away.

As soon as my youngest is 10 - next year in fact - I'll do the same with my boys. I am looking forward to it, as I enjoy camping in the primitive wilderness areas, hunting and I love flyfishing as much as I love golfing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote