cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 AM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Philmont is a 2 week high adventure thing in New Mexico.
Wow. Is this already a done deal? If that represents your entire vacation time for your job, I wouldn't do it. That's too much of a sacrifice for your family. But that's just me. Good luck with that one.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also a good reason not to pay for it all, and Steel referred to it. Church programs should be run uniformly and all should be able top arpticiapte or accept callings. Allowing or requiring (depneding on perspective) leaders to absorb costs leads to dispairites in treatment within stakes and wards and is very much counter to any effort to unify the youth and the wards, IMO. Use the budget and lkittle else.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I agree with what has been said about not paying out of pocket. 1-2 weeks of lost/vacation wages to go to scout camp is more than enough sacrifice for any leader. Throw in all the other stuff that is not reimbursed, such as gas and mileage and it could become very pricey. imo, if someone doesn't get reimbursed, they are also doing a disservice to future leaders, as the ward won't have an accurate picture of how much is actually required to run the program, possibly underbudgeting in the following year.

Does serving as a scout leader make you exempt from contributing to Friends of Scouting?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the part that is going to kill me is using an entire year's vacation for one scouting trip.

Maybe I will bail out.
NO way in hell I would spend all my vacation on scout camp. Now that I think about it though, you'd probably have to pay me to go to scout camp.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if I've never been considered for scouting cuz I never donated to Friends of Scouting.

Hmm.

Two weeks of hell at my expense? No thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #16
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Philmont is a 2 week high adventure thing in New Mexico.
Philmont is a great camp, if you have the time and the $$. Unfortunately, it is also next to impossible to split up the week(s) if you have multiple available leaders. As I understand it, Part of the camp is spent on a high country backpacking trip where the troop would be unavailable to do a leader swap.

We had a court of honor last week for one of our older boys who recently returned from AF basic training. He said that the highlight of his entire scouting career was without question Philmont.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:33 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I did Philmont when I was 14. It was great.

I'm just not sure I want to fork over the time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote