cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Random thoughts from the game

Penalties penalties penalties. Killed us and took us out of the game. Matt Allen TD pass!

We could not do anything in the red zone.

The defense played very well. They held them to 16 points. That is plenty low. Ben Criddle played very well and deserves a scholarship. Our run defense was good as expected and our pass D was surprisingly good.

The offense did not do its job. With the D holding them to 16, we should have doubled their score. I will acknowledge AZ has a great defense tho. They had excellent purusuit and tackled very well.

Fui is a beast and should be getting more than double the touches he got last night. He cannot be brought down by one defender.

Beck played decent. No interceptions, one TD pass.

Stupid penalties. How many times did we get flagged for false start?

Hindsight is 20/20, but even in chat I was saying we should have gone for the TD on that 4th and goal from the 2. Instead, we kick a field goal. Even if we dont score the TD, AZ is pinned in their endzone with an opportunity for the BYU D to make a play.

One last observation: Mike Waters hates Beck.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 09-03-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Beck has never lived up to his potential.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Tone was set when Harline fumbles on the first play of the game after a big pick up and AZ turns it into 3 points.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in TBS chat last night and got crucified for suggesting that Beck was overrated and that he never makes big plays against big teams. People actually took offense when I said that Beck was not in the same category as Steve Young, Jim McMahon, and Ty Detmer. I don't understand why people continue to give Beck a pass. What am I missing?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I was in TBS chat last night and got crucified for suggesting that Beck was overrated and that he never makes big plays against big teams. People actually took offense when I said that Beck was not in the same category as Steve Young, Jim McMahon, and Ty Detmer. I don't understand why people continue to give Beck a pass. What am I missing?
You're not missing a thing, in fact you're right on. I don't get the "John Beck Defenders". If he plays great, I'll say it. But saying he played great because he had a great completion rate and no INT's is ridiculous. Ty Detmer had a buttload of INT's in his career. But he had an even bigger buttload of TD's and "big plays".
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
C'mon NS, you should know by now that only all-world caliber QBs play at BYU. Someday, John Beck will be rembered as such greats as Sean Covey, Mike Young and my personal favorite, Bob Jensen. To think otherwise is foolish.

Perhaps you could ask the pro-Beck crowd if he's so good, why does he have a losing record?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
C'mon NS, you should know by now that only all-world caliber QBs play at BYU. Someday, John Beck will be rembered as such greats as Sean Covey, Mike Young and my personal favorite, Bob Jensen. To think otherwise is foolish.

Perhaps you could ask the pro-Beck crowd if he's so good, why does he have a losing record?
I think we need a profanity filter for "Sean Covey." Seeing his name is like recalling the ugly girls that I am ashamed to say I dated. Yes, very shallow, I know.

In defense of Beck, he's had to toil during some fairly difficult times at BYU, little of which is his fault. He may not be great, but a decent supporting cast the past few years would have done wonders for his W/L record.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:46 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Beck, the best BYU qb to never win anything.

He is in the category with Feterik, fighting hard, deserving of praise for his fortitude, but not deserving acclaim for nonaccomplishments.

Beck is with Sean Covey, Bob Jenson and Steve Lindsley, because he has no signature win.

Covey had the Texas win, which was a signature win. Beck has two more chances, against BC and against some lower level BCS opponent in a bowl game. Right now, I'm not hopeful.

Our wide receivers, without Watkins, are very, very average again.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
In defense of Beck, he's had to toil during some fairly difficult times at BYU, little of which is his fault. He may not be great, but a decent supporting cast the past few years would have done wonders for his W/L record.
I tend to agree. An offense that averaged 30 + PPG last year should not be blamed for the 6-6 record. That should be plenty of scoring for at least 8-4 or so.

I think we are just beginning to understand the impact of the personnel mismanagment over the last serveral years. Crowton's biggest issue was that IMO.

Engemann, Berry, Beck all could have been BYU "greats" if their development had been handled correctly. Not to mention Olson.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What we are forgetting is that Beck was a planned back up , forced to start.

Engemann, Berry and Olson were the planned starters, with Beck having been planned for the bench. But we have who should have been a bench sitter, starting, that shows us why we are hurting.

Crowton hurt us with Engemann, Berry and Olson, setting us back terribly. I mean Crowton's treatment of these guys set the program back.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-05-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote