cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You'll fall hard as you always do.

Here's what's going on with BYU right now.

First, Jimmer really is a special player. An extraordinary high mid-major caliber player. He's also a point guard who scores in bunches and makes plays. There's nothing more dominant in sports than this kind of player in the college game.

Second, the Gipper factor. We all remember the tale of George Gipp at Notre Dame. He fell ill and died almost overnight in the middle of a season in which he was leading Notre Dame to glory. The team was grief stricken. Knute Rockne told them repeatedly, "Win this for the Gipper." The phrase always fired them up and they won game after game.

Now, imagine if George Gipp had risen from the dead. Imagine if he came, showed up in the locker room, put on his leather helmet and pads, and said, "Let's go play!" And the players saw this meant all to him. Imagine how much they would then be motivated, especially if they felt this was miraculous and the Gipper might be taken from them at any time, as quickly as he was the first time. They would not want him to taste defeat; they'd play every game like it was their or the Gipper's last.

I don't know about you, but I didn't know it was possible to recover from pancreatic cancer. These kids seem to have been fond of their coach. I emphasize, they are kids. Imagine how they felt last summer. They probably thought for a time, he had coached his last game; he was gone. But he's alive again, and with them; the Gipper has returned. They may have been fond of him before; they love him now. When they fall behind with ten minutes to go, they just have to look at the bench, and see Coach. I bet they get a knot in the throat, and new energy; they fly, and those shots miraculously ripple the nets.

Who knows how far this will take them? This doesn't seem to me to be overall a really athletic team. No doubt, Jimmer is a special player. But I do believe they are sort of playing on beams of light. We'll see how far this amazing cause to give all they have every minute of every game takes them. They seem to be enjoying a special season with a coach they thought was gone and making the most of their talents.

But these rare circumstances will pass, and Haws is mission bound. BYU is headed for more deep losing seasons.
You are happily mistaken.

There will always be another Jimmer, and they will come more sooner than every before. It's because the Mothers in Zion will raise up a righteous breed, from the womb, who shall serve, not Mammon.

Whereas before, there was a Nemelka, a Cosic, and then the Great Era of the Ainge was upon us. But for the unrighteous dominion the Sons of Zion did exercise, the Lord of the Courts did smite the Cougs from the Valley of Death, by that wicked King Majerus.

But after much pestilence and suffering, the Lord did raise up a righteous posterity, and then a young Jimmer, followed by many who doubted not that their mothers knew it. A new cleanness ruled the land, and lands from Indiana, North Carolina and many other a saintly mother did return to Zion and the Lord's promised land.

So you who kick against the pricks will be thrust down as in the days of yore.