cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default Strange things are afoot at the BYU...

In the daily universe this morning, a front page article discussed the termination of employment for one of the employees of BYUSA, who had written a letter to the editor critical of the requirements for candidates running for position. Also included in the DU was an article fortelling the coming of "Soulforce," a gay and lesbian rights activist group targeting BYU for their overly-strict anti-gay policies. Who'd have thought the Universe would have brought those to light? Interesting.

Soulforce is having a rally on April 10th at Kiwanis Park (a monday night, by the way). My plan is to pass around fliers advertising a "ward FHE," 7:30 at Kiwanis Park, the same night.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strange things are afoot at the BYU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Soulforce is having a rally on April 10th at Kiwanis Park (a monday night, by the way). My plan is to pass around fliers advertising a "ward FHE," 7:30 at Kiwanis Park, the same night.
:lol:

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Good old Kiwana's park. In my day that place was Provo's beach. It was where all the co-eds went to tan in their bikinis without the fear of being sent to the honor code office. It was also where all the guys went to support them in that decision.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Good old Kiwana's park. In my day that place was Provo's beach. It was where all the co-eds went to tan in their bikinis without the fear of being sent to the honor code office. It was also where all the guys went to support them in that decision.
A question about the Honor Code: Is it still enforced in areas that are off campus? I understand it is in the approved off campus housing, but can students tattle on other students if they see an Honor Code violation in a public place like Kiwanas Park? Or how about a place like the frozen foods section in Albertson's?

How long is the arm of the Honor Code?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
A question about the Honor Code: Is it still enforced in areas that are off campus? I understand it is in the approved off campus housing, but can students tattle on other students if they see an Honor Code violation in a public place like Kiwanas Park? Or how about a place like the frozen foods section in Albertson's?

Dress code stuff didn't apply off campus.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:

Dress code stuff didn't apply off campus.
That's good to hear. I'd hate to think that my tithing dollars wouldn't allow you guys to have seen the girls flaunt it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Oh, yeah. Honor code is expected to be in effect 24/7. They don't do anything to enforce it off campus, of course, but it is expected.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #8
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Quote:

As I recall, several BYU football players got kicked out of school for off-campus honor code violations. It sounds like you are talking about the milder stuff, though(shorts and the like).
Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
As I recall, several BYU football players got kicked out of school for off-campus honor code violations. It sounds like you are talking about the milder stuff, though(shorts and the like).
Yeah, I was talking about the mild stuff. I wouldn't think that it would be that restrictive.

I like the idea of an Honor Code, but it sure seems that it is too inconsistent when punishments are handed out. Too much letter of the law and too little spirit of the law.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

woe be unto you if you are busted for an honor code violation.

esp. the ones that a lot of people break. Like being out of apts. by midnight (of the opposite sex).

woe, because you are one of the unlucky few.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote