cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Obama deserves credit for this

Unlike our last democratic president, Obama is not dodgy about his positions and intentions. If you favor protectionism, orgaized labor, increased taxes for SUCCESSFUL businesses of any size, redistribution of wealth, expansion of federal regualtion in all economic fields, isolationism, indifference to historic overseas commitments and alliances, a muddling of good and evil in foreign affairs, and the trial lawyers, he's your guy!

The silver lining for me is the trial lawyers will be among the winners, and social conservativism appears to be finally routed. I look forward to a day when the Supreme Court finds a Constitutional right to marry within your own gender among the penumbras emanations of the Bill of Rights, and reaffirms that the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment. I've always been a look on the bright side kind of guy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think all the guys on death row will let out a cheer when Obama is elected.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Unlike our last democratic president, Obama is not dodgy about his positions and intentions. If you favor protectionism, organized labor, increased taxes for SUCCESSFUL businesses of any size, redistribution of wealth, expansion of federal regualtion in all economic fields, isolationism, indifference to historic overseas commitments and alliances, a muddling of good and evil in foreign affairs, and the trial lawyers, he's your guy!
See, this is why I don't get the accusations that he's deceitful...nope, actually he's been pretty upfront about the fact that he's the most liberal candidate ever. I think he wears the moniker like a badge of honor.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

And all small businesses let out a groan. He doesn't get what small business is about. It's not about health care, but he lectures, "you'll get cheaper, affordable health care", without proving it. It's about costs of doing business and health care isn't offered by most, so any health care is an additional cost.

Except for lawyers making more money, I see no advantages to the coming coronation.

And small business owners often have no retirement except the sale of their businesses, but now, with the advent of an increased capital gains, they won't retain enough to make the sale worth it.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And all small businesses let out a groan. He doesn't get what small business is about. It's not about health care, but he lectures, "you'll get cheaper, affordable health care", without proving it. It's about costs of doing business and health care isn't offered by most, so any health care is an additional cost.

Except for lawyers making more money, I see no advantages to the coming coronation.

And small business owners often have no retirement except the sale of their businesses, but now, with the advent of an increased capital gains, they won't retain enough to make the sale worth it.
Very true. And I am feeling this now as well. I came into my new job with benefits. A month later they gave me a small raise to help compensate for private insurance. We're a small engineering firm. In the last year we had an employee pass away because of cancer and another employee's wife gave birth. So what happened? Our premiums doubled and our company could no longer cover that expense. Fortunately Gidget and I are young enough and healthy enough to obtain private insurance at a relatively inexpensive premium.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Our premiums doubled and our company could no longer cover that expense.
With Obama's plan, the company could more likely provide coverage. Under McCain's, you'd be taxed for the health care benefits.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
With Obama's plan, the company could more likely provide coverage. Under McCain's, you'd be taxed for the health care benefits.
This is unproven and pure speculation, but Obama doesn't get it. Health care is a minor concern for small businesses who have much bigger concerns which he completely ignores. His increased regulatory costs will put many of them out of business.

He's arrogant and lectures a sector of the economy for which he has no contact or understanding. He's an A-1 prick.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
This is unproven and pure speculation, but Obama doesn't get it.
Sweetheart, they do have policy papers. You can have your secretary pull them up, or I can post them for you. I'm not just pulling this stuff out of the air.

It's true that my statement is unproven and pure speculation, but that's because it lies in the future. It's no more speculation than the suggestion that McCain will appoint more conservative judges than Obama, or that Obama will be more isolationist than McCain. It's all speculation when you get down to it.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Sweetheart, they do have policy papers. You can have your secretary pull them up, or I can post them for you. I'm not just pulling this stuff out of the air.

It's true that my statement is unproven and pure speculation, but that's because it lies in the future. It's no more speculation than the suggestion that McCain will appoint more conservative judges than Obama, or that Obama will be more isolationist than McCain. It's all speculation when you get down to it.
His policy papers make lots of speculation how his wonderful health care bureaucracy will magically make health care appear either by government sponsorship or private business following the benign magnanimous lead of our benevolent Great Leader.

Given the massive overhaul of his speculative policy papers, for him to imagine we'll have magically new policies available for all these poor, but too rich small business, is massively arrogant and shows exceedingly great Harvard hubris.

His papers are poppycock and fairytale, and the fact that McCain was unable to expose his fantasies for what they are, shows me what an idiot McCain is and was.

Nothing in my comments are intended to deny you don't have a basis for claiming Obama and his Gang of Five don't have papers making these outrageous, unprovable claims. But my point was, his claims are outrageously naive, and ultimately will prove horribly unsustainable and unaffordable.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issue...reFullPlan.pdf

The hubris of this piece is nauseating. The NHIE scares the living daylights out of me, as a health care lawyer. His whole health plan is sponsored by Kaiser Permananente. Read the attributions.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-16-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
His policy papers make lots of speculation...
so I take it you've looked at them, then?