cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Materialism...

I have a friend who pulls in about a half-million per year. Not truly wealthy like Fortune 500 wealthy, but he does pretty well, I think we can all agree.

I go to their little party/get-togethers fairly often. Just about every person who attends is very well off. I am the pauper of the group.

And they talk about expensive cars, golfing, investments. It's all money, money, money. They are boring as HELL, and I can barely stand being there.

One of the guys particularly annoys me. Imagine a caricature of K-dog, guy who grew up dirt poor, now has run into a bit of money, and holy sh*t, his whole demeanor says "I am now going to cover up my insecurity by talking about my money."

I need to be surrounded by the artists, the revolutionaries, the earth-shakers, the free-spirits, those with an inquisitive spirit. Get me away from the DEAD, I can't stand it.

Put me in a field of ice and snow, and I will be happy. This wasn't clear to me when I was younger, but it is becoming increasingly clear to me now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have a friend who pulls in about a half-million per year. Not truly wealthy like Fortune 500 wealthy, but he does pretty well, I think we can all agree.

I go to their little party/get-togethers fairly often. Just about every person who attends is very well off. I am the pauper of the group.

And they talk about expensive cars, golfing, investments. It's all money, money, money. They are boring as HELL, and I can barely stand being there.

One of the guys particularly annoys me. Imagine a caricature of K-dog, guy who grew up dirt poor, now has run into a bit of money, and holy sh*t, his whole demeanor says "I am now going to cover up my insecurity by talking about my money."

I need to be surrounded by the artists, the revolutionaries, the earth-shakers, the free-spirits, those with an inquisitive spirit. Get me away from the DEAD, I can't stand it.

Put me in a field of ice and snow, and I will be happy. This wasn't clear to me when I was younger, but it is becoming increasingly clear to me now.
The one thing that comes through in almost all of your posts about money.....you dont make enough of it for your liking and seem to be jealous of those that do. Does it tear you up inside because the reality conflicts with a self-perception that you know is inaccurate or because it conflicts with how you so desperately want others to perceive you?

As for the ice and snow....just head North. You will find a bunch of it eventually.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You're in Texas, Mike. Maybe it isn't the money, but the Texans that bother you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The one thing that comes through in almost all of your posts about money.....you dont make enough of it for your liking and seem to be jealous of those that do. Does it tear you up inside because the reality conflicts with a self-perception that you know is inaccurate or because it conflicts with how you so desperately want others to perceive you?

As for the ice and snow....just head North. You will find a bunch of it eventually.
what kind of car do you drive DDD?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Currently or recently?

Currently, you would approve. I drive a surf truck. Old, beat up. wax stains on the gate.

Until recently, I drove a 911 for about 2 1/2 years. Not ddd friendly, so now in the market for a new ride. Driving our old truck in the interim.

It would be fun if you and I hooked up and went car shopping. I could tell you bad jokes all day and you could complain about everything. A regular Oscar and Felix we would be!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2837709
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2837650

Sorry if you felt pegged you as one of those superficial nitwits I described in my original post.

If you are ever in town, I will invite you to one of these get-togethers. You'd have a great time, and probably be able to one-up a lot of the guys. Better yet, you can take my place.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2837709
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2837650

Sorry if you felt pegged you as one of those superficial nitwits I described in my original post.

If you are ever in town, I will invite you to one of these get-togethers. You'd have a great time, and probably be able to one-up a lot of the guys. Better yet, you can take my place.
Not sure the point of this post.....because I have posted once about owning a 911, you feel that this lumps me in to those obsessed with wealth?

Hmm....maybe it does.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

K-Dog is real? I thought he was a characature.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not sure the point of this post.....because I have posted once about owning a 911, you feel that this lumps me in to those obsessed with wealth?

Hmm....maybe it does.
Mike didn't say you were obsessed with wealth, just that you were a superficial nit-wit. Don't put words in his mouth.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

Hmm....maybe it does.
What interests you? Besides your work and your cars and your family.

Music, if I remember correctly. That's a mark in your favor, that the avg. materialistic dull nitwit may not be able to claim.