cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #51
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My buddy's soon-to-turn-10-year-old wants to see it, and I sent him a text halfway through the film advising him not to let him. And that was before the gunpoint scene.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #52
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

There was one classic line:

(Scene: a noisy nightclub)
Trophy girlfriend: Do you want to go someplace where we can hear each other talk?
Rich mobster: What makes you think that I want to hear you talk?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #53
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ever since we had our kids, I do not deal well with implied/actual violence towards children, as portrayed in media.

Not saying that I was fine with it before, but I knew it was just a movie. Now even in a movie it makes me very sad, almost to tears. I hated that scene that ute is describing.

That story yesterday about the guy who left his baby in the car to go see Batman also really distracted me for awhile. It was hard to read and I wanted to get it out of my head quickly. Beating your kids, leaving them in cars or gas stations, telling them that you dont want them, screaming at them or calling them names.....all these things are beyond me (not trying to spark up the spanking debate, btw).

I guess I get overly emotional at the thought of someone hurting my kids. It is just a movie, so I should probably lighten up Francis, but for whatever reason, I can't.
No, you don't need to lighten up. You view the mistreatment of children as something evil, as do I. I have a difficult time just reading about things like the cretin who left his small son in the car to go see the movie.

Of course, that just gives me one more reason to not see that movie. If child abusing dickheads want to see it, I want no part of it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #54
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
No, you don't need to lighten up. You view the mistreatment of children as something evil, as do I. I have a difficult time just reading about things like the cretin who left his small son in the car to go see the movie.

Of course, that just gives me one more reason to not see that movie. If child abusing dickheads want to see it, I want no part of it.
Truthfully, it was an entertaining movie, but the implied violence was pretty gratuitous.

Like with most movies, you will be fine if you don't see it.

The entire scene in question was too much for me to bear. Like i said, I am a wuss when it comes to even the implied thought of harming wife/family/etc.

There was one quick scene of ACTUAL violence, not implied, that was actually shocking....bones crunching and breaking....everyone in the theater let out a concerted groan of disbelief.

For those that have seen the movie, they will know what it is. Yikes. holy crap.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #55
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I know I am in the distinct minority but I actually agree with Danby: it sucked. The last half an hour I kept hoping the joker would kill me.
I didn't hate it as bad as you did, but I didn't love it either. I think Ironman was the best comic book movie of the summer.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #56
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I didn't hate it as bad as you did, but I didn't love it either. I think Ironman was the best comic book movie of the summer.
I think Iron Man was better than The Godfather 1 and 2, as well as Schindler's List. Those movies were okay, I guess.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #57
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think Iron Man was better than The Godfather 1 and 2, as well as Schindler's List. Those movies were okay, I guess.
I can see that, but Ironman isn't even close to Godfather III. Doesn't even touch it.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #58
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
My guess is that whether you enjoyed the movie or not depends on the Joker. The joker's act became tedious for me by the second half of the film from both an action point of view and character point of view. Too many pseudo climaxes involving yet another explosion or sadistic confrontation. I also didn't think he was an interesting character (well at least not interesting enough to support his prominence in the film). I thought he was one dimmensional. I did think ledger's acting was quite good. Anyways, I suffered from Joker fatigue which is apparently a fairly rare syndrome. I also thought the interplay between Wayne, Dent, and Dawes was poorly written, rushed, flat, and not emotionally engaging.

Finally, I thought the movie failed as social commentary but that's a minor reason why I didn't enjoy the movie.

Last edited by pelagius; 07-23-2008 at 05:05 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #59
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

Il Pad's crusade against this movie is pretty humorous, getting pretty riled up there bud. Never seen someone so bitter about a movie they don't plan on seeing.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #60
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
My guess is that whether you enjoyed the movie or not depends on the Joker. The joker's act became tedious for me by the second half of the film from both an action point of view and character point of view. Too many pseudo climaxes involving yet another explosion or sadistic confrontation. I also didn't think he was an interesting character (well at least not interesting enough to support his prominence in the film). I thought he was one dimmensional. I did think ledger's acting was quite good. Anyways, I suffered from Joker fatigue which is apparently a fairly rare syndrome. I also thought the interplay between Wayne, Dent, and Dawes was poorly written, rushed, flat, and not emotionally engaging.

Finally, I thought the movie failed as social commentary but that's a minor reason why I didn't enjoy the movie.
My beef about the Joker was the total lack of character development. How did he become the Joker? We never even really received a straight story on how he came to have the scars on his face.