cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default John Edwards: WHO GIVES A RATS ASS?

As I have been driving today I have been blissfully unaware of the John Edwards nonsense because, as I often am, I have been tuned into BBC news. They have been covering the two actual news stories in the world today: the opening of the Olympics in China and the arrival of Russian troops and tanks in South Ossetia, a break away Georgian province and the real possibility of war between Russia and Georgia.

So having heard all I could about that, I decided to click over to CNN, Fox News and some other news stations on XM to get the American take on these things and all I find, and I mean all, is wall to wall coverage about some irrelevant former presidential hopeful having banged a skank a few years back. I have zero love for this guy and this just inks that he is a piece of garbage, but seriously WHO CARES? This is all our news outlets can talk about?

What is it our culture that makes us love so intensely watching the rich and powerful twist in the wind and what makes us so fascinated with their sexual escapades? I'm no high handed cultural moralist, but I do find our voyeuristic tendencies disgusting.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
WHO GIVES A RATS ASS?
Republicans do. They hope it negatively reflects upon Obama's campaign.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Yes, this does reflect badly, very badly on John Edwards, but he doesn't hold a public office, and he isn't running for one. So as he is or was a representative of our country, can we honestly say that what goes on in the bedrooms of plain ol' American citizens should really stay in their bedroom and is of no business to anyone else? and is he considered a plain ol' American citizen at this point? hmmmmmm . . . .
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Who is surprised by this? She looks 15 years older then him, she's a little heavy and he seems pretty shallow and selfish but I agree who care's?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I rejoice in the personal and professional failures of others. It definitely makes me feel better about myself.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Yes, this does reflect badly, very badly on John Edwards, but he doesn't hold a public office, and he isn't running for one. So as he is or was a representative of our country, can we honestly say that what goes on in the bedrooms of plain ol' American citizens should really stay in their bedroom and is of no business to anyone else? and is he considered a plain ol' American citizen at this point? hmmmmmm . . . .
Edwards is a perpetual candidate for office and, up until this affair, was a possible selection for the VP nomination. Thus, I would disagree that he is a "plain ol' American citizen" at this point. If he lives for a year like a plain ol' American citizen - not writing books, running for office, going on the public speaking circuit, etc. - then I would consider him a plain ol' American citizen and wouldn't care if he had one hundred affairs.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
As I have been driving today I have been blissfully unaware of the John Edwards nonsense because, as I often am, I have been tuned into BBC news. They have been covering the two actual news stories in the world today: the opening of the Olympics in China and the arrival of Russian troops and tanks in South Ossetia, a break away Georgian province and the real possibility of war between Russia and Georgia.

So having heard all I could about that, I decided to click over to CNN, Fox News and some other news stations on XM to get the American take on these things and all I find, and I mean all, is wall to wall coverage about some irrelevant former presidential hopeful having banged a skank a few years back. I have zero love for this guy and this just inks that he is a piece of garbage, but seriously WHO CARES? This is all our news outlets can talk about?

What is it our culture that makes us love so intensely watching the rich and powerful twist in the wind and what makes us so fascinated with their sexual escapades? I'm no high handed cultural moralist, but I do find our voyeuristic tendencies disgusting.
America's "voyeurism" is the other side of some of its citizens' incesant high handed cultural moralizing (John Edwards actualy an erstwhile example), as you are wont to fall prey to. Your BBC-name dropping doesn't fool us. Clearly it's John McCain's and John Edwards' womanizing that rivets your attention.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote