cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #41
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I'm not up at night, I just have experience in interpreting administrative rules. Comes with having experience in the law. Reasonable minds could disagree with my interpretation of the NCAA's administrative rules, but my interpretation can easily be supported.
I think very few people would agree that a season ticket holder is a member of the Booster club or are boosters of the program. Even by the definitions you just posted above. It's not clear at all about that in fact.

The 95 bucks I spent on season tickets last year makes me a booster?

I spent 15 bucks to go to one of the basketball games this year....does that make me a booster. I went to several bball games this year for free via tickets from vendors at my brothers work.

Does Joe Blow who out of the blue one night is bored, has nothing to do,,,decides...heck...I want to go to the volleyball and spends his 5 bucks...is he a booster to?

Neither Talo or Brandon are members of the CougarClub,,,in fact it's been made clear to them in their meetings with BYU Admin and the AD that they are not to be in any, way, shape or form.

I'm not a CougarClub member (Cause I think the CC Sucks..but that's a topic for another day).....and don't consider myself a booster.

I could have any player I wanted over to my house for dinner,,,that doesn't make me a booster or a violater of recruiting rules.

My oldest brother is a Ute season ticket holder. He's not a member of the Crimson Club. One of his old long time buddies John Fakler runs many facets of the Crimson Club....Now HE's a booster. JohnHaddow is a booster for BYU...there is a stark difference.

By the way, thanks for the posting those rules. Kudos to you.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-10-2007 at 06:01 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #42
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I think very few people would agree that a season ticket holder is a member of the Booster club are boosters of the program. Even by the definitions you just posted above. It's not clear at all about that in fact.

The 95 bucks I spent on season tickets last year makes me a booster?

I spent 15 bucks to go to one of the basketball games this year....does that make me a booster. I went to several bball games this year for free via tickets from vendors at my brothers work.

Does Joe Blow who out of the blue one night is bored, has nothing to do,,,decides...heck...I want to go to the volleyball and spends his 5 bucks...is he a booster to?

Neither Talo or Brandon are members of the CougarClub,,,in fact it's been made clear to them in their meetings with BYU Admin and the AD that they are not to be in any, way, shape or form.

I'm not a CougarClub member (Cause I think the CC Sucks..but that's a topic for another day).....and don't consider myself a booster.

I could have any player I wanted over to my house for dinner,,,that doesn't make me a booster or a violater of recruiting rules.

By the way, thanks for the posting those rules. Kudos to you.
Buying a few tickets here and there will not make you a booster. Having season tickets a lot of schools consider this a booster.

From the Texas compliance department.

"The NCAA definition of 'a representative of the University’s athletics interests' is very broad and encompasses many — if not all — of the people who are regular attendees at our sports events. If you fall into this category, there are a number of activities regarding contact with student-athletes and recruits that could put the University at risk for NCAA sanctions."

Virginia Tech's compliance department claims that anyone who is alumni or attended Virginia Tech is a booster. In short if you take a class at Va. Tech they consider you a booster.

This is a very unsettled issue, and it is not limited to just people who are members of the Cougar Club. The reason it is not limited to just those people is because you could easily subvert the rules by not joining the booster organization.

Another thing to keep in mind is by NCAA bylaws once you become a booster you retain that status for life. If you donate to a booster organization one time, you are a booster for that school for the rest of your life.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #43
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Buying a few tickets here and there will not make you a booster. Having season tickets a lot of schools consider this a booster.

From the Texas compliance department.

"The NCAA definition of 'a representative of the University’s athletics interests' is very broad and encompasses many — if not all — of the people who are regular attendees at our sports events. If you fall into this category, there are a number of activities regarding contact with student-athletes and recruits that could put the University at risk for NCAA sanctions."

Virginia Tech's compliance department claims that anyone who is alumni or attended Virginia Tech is a booster. In short if you take a class at Va. Tech they consider you a booster.

This is a very unsettled issue, and it is not limited to just people who are members of the Cougar Club. The reason it is not limited to just those people is because you could easily subvert the rules by not joining the booster organization.

Another thing to keep in mind is by NCAA bylaws once you become a booster you retain that status for life. If you donate to a booster organization one time, you are a booster for that school for the rest of your life.
So, Funk. Are you pissed that potential Utah recruits are being asked by BYU fans if they are interested in playing for the church's school? Or are you just giving BYU a warning out of the goodness of your heart, to help them avoid trouble with the NCAA?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #44
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
So, Funk. Are you pissed that potential Utah recruits are being asked by BYU fans if they are interested in playing for the church's school? Or are you just giving BYU a warning out of the goodness of your heart, to help them avoid trouble with the NCAA?
I am not upset about it at all, because it is minor. I am just saying that there is an argument that it fits within the definition of the rules. TBS affect on Ute recruiting is somewhere in between nothing and minimal. That doesn't change the fact it is fun to rile up the TBS homers by calling it a recruiting violation.

My biggest complaint about these sites, and it applies to all the recruiting sites, is how they have added one more worry to these kids lives. When researching my paper there were kids complaining about getting 15-20 calls a day from various sites. One kid started to turn off his phone because he got so tired of all the calls. It is an added stress to a kids life when he already has a lot to deal with.

I don't like recruiting websites. I don't like them BYU, I don't like them for Utah, and I don't like them for anyone. I think the NCAA needs to step up and force universities to regulate. Limit the amount of contact, limit the type of questions, etc.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #45
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I will say this much, if during that dinner you start to tell the player reasons why he should go to BYU you have just become a booster and committed a recruiting violation, unless you have a pre-existing relationship with the recruit.

If you have him over to dinner and have a friendly conversation about something other then his college choices you are probably fine.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, they were lied to face to face by the Filiagas...
No they weren't. If you read TBS mea culpa, they never freaking asked.

IF YOU ARE A REPORTER, FREAKING ASK QUESTIONS.

"We hung out at their house and they gave us no indication, blah, blah, blah. We are bush league and everyone knows it."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #47
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I am not upset about it at all, because it is minor. I am just saying that there is an argument that it fits within the definition of the rules. TBS affect on Ute recruiting is somewhere in between nothing and minimal. That doesn't change the fact it is fun to rile up the TBS homers by calling it a recruiting violation.

My biggest complaint about these sites, and it applies to all the recruiting sites, is how they have added one more worry to these kids lives. When researching my paper there were kids complaining about getting 15-20 calls a day from various sites. One kid started to turn off his phone because he got so tired of all the calls. It is an added stress to a kids life when he already has a lot to deal with.

I don't like recruiting websites. I don't like them BYU, I don't like them for Utah, and I don't like them for anyone. I think the NCAA needs to step up and force universities to regulate. Limit the amount of contact, limit the type of questions, etc.
I give you a lot of credit and the respect for being consistent with your stance.