cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Going independent is a bigger risk than staying with a lackluster conference. ND is the only independent to succeed. All others seek conference affiliation.
Navy is an independent as well with its own tv contract with CSTV, if I'm not mistaken.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
also BYU71, I guess my point is that it is a big gamble right now to stay in the MWC.

I wonder if being a successful indepedent might make us more attractive as a BCS pickup.
There is the gamble. Successful independent. Can we pull it off. IMHO it would require an upgrade in our schedule. You aren't going to get any good TV deal if our schedule ends up a downgrade. A lot of pissed of MWC teams won't play us. Can we get the mid level majors to play us. Maybe the first few weeks, but what about when they are into their conference schedules.

Staying in the MWC is not a gamble. Folks will flock to a contender in the MWC. A lot of moaning about TV, recognition, etc., but they will flock to follow the team because we are winning and contending for championships. We will always fall back on, we aren't with the big boys because we are honorable and will be happy with winning in the MWC.

Sometimes I fear people overestimate the loyalty and devotion of the BYU fan. They think they are like members and their loyalty to the church. Big differences. Members will pay tithing, budgets, etc. for spiritulity 1st when it comes to the church. Loyalty and devotion to BYU athletics financially is directly related to winning.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jay Santos has worked out a plausible scenario for beign independent in terms of scheduling...(I think).

USU and Utah would always play us.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Jay Santos has worked out a plausible scenario for beign independent in terms of scheduling...(I think).

USU and Utah would always play us.
Well TV would broadcast the Utah game and will almost always ignore the USU game.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I"m not sure if this is plausible, but it's an idea (jay santos):

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ht=independent
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well TV would broadcast the Utah game and will almost always ignore the USU game.
Statman suggests that BYU would sell its games to ESPN Gameplan. it would be part of a package.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #17
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Sometimes I fear people overestimate the loyalty and devotion of the BYU fan. They think they are like members and their loyalty to the church. Big differences. Members will pay tithing, budgets, etc. for spiritulity 1st when it comes to the church. Loyalty and devotion to BYU athletics financially is directly related to winning.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
BYU71

Quote:
I"m not sure if this is plausible, but it's an idea (jay santos):

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ht=independent
It is an idea, but I don't think ASU will play us that late in the year. AU is their rival. UNM and UNLV and Wyoming could say kiss off.

All that changes of course if we are winning. Those schools, especially UNLV know they could put butts in their stadiums. However, if say we go 7-5 this year and 8-4 next, you will have a pretty good fall off in BYU fan support.

Everybody is riding a high. BYU is out collecting money right and left off of the enthusiasm. They even have spots with Bronco asking for money for the general fund. They better keep winning. That is what brings in the bucks.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
It is an idea, but I don't think ASU will play us that late in the year. AU is their rival. UNM and UNLV and Wyoming could say kiss off.

All that changes of course if we are winning. Those schools, especially UNLV know they could put butts in their stadiums. However, if say we go 7-5 this year and 8-4 next, you will have a pretty good fall off in BYU fan support.

Everybody is riding a high. BYU is out collecting money right and left off of the enthusiasm. They even have spots with Bronco asking for money for the general fund. They better keep winning. That is what brings in the bucks.
I think we put butts in seats across the west, including pac10, but I might be wrong.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #20
BYU71

Quote:
I think we put butts in seats across the west, including pac10, but I might be wrong.
No doubt. If we are winning, we are a very attractive product. You can say that about a lot of teams, but I think we are moreso than most because of the intense following we can get outside of Utah. UNM for instance could have the year we did last year and they aren't going to put a ton of fans in the stands at UCLA.

My main point and I think the admin. realizes this, be careful in what you plan to consider the BYU fan base is about wins. I think in the mid nineties the admin. lost site of that and thought it was about BYU.