cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
CSU, AFA, Wyo, Utah, and TCU can all beat us.

I think we saw an old fashioned coach's butt whooping today.

Tulsa out-prepared, out-schemed, and out-coached.

But Bronco will get a free pass. Even though we have had two Crowton-esque performances in a row.

All this talk about kids reading their scriptures every morning, and we are still getting Crowton performances.

It's frustrating.
The last game was well coached, the players failded to execute -you are WAYYYY OFF.

This game however CAN ONLY be pinned on the coaching ... though it was not even remotely Crowtonesque.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #12
tooblue

Quote:
you can't run the ball when you are playing catchup the entire game.

We ran the ball a ton in the 2nd half. Look at how much we scored in the 2nd half.
You won't be playing catch up Mike if you run the ball in the first place

Max threw his pick six after two 10 + yard runs and a run play for 5 + yards!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

This game looked like 2005 all over again. Kayle Buchanan was torched time and time again, Quinn Gooch played one of the worst games i have ever seen a safety play he bit on every single play fake. Once Brandon Howard entered the game they took the deep ball away, until the long one at the end on Criddle.

14 penalties to Tulsas 4, say what you want, we are undisciplined but come on their is holding on almost every play in football the discrepancy cant be that bad. Travis Bright and Sete Aulai had at least 3 each.

Austin Collie is unbelievable looked awesome.

Max Hall needs to develp that clock in his head he saw a corner blitz at the end looked right at it, yet he still held on to the ball. He did this several times in the game holds the ball way to long and he is averaging over 3 turnovers a game. With a pick 6 in back to back games (he should have had one against AZ but the guy dropped it).

Defensive be ready, Tulsa kept matching up recievers with our LBs and Safeties and torching them, we are going to see the long ball early and often for the rest of the year.

All around a horrible game, i do agree with tooblue run the damn ball. We averaged close to 10 yards a pop in the 2nd half, adn got down 12 with 11 minutes left and went with and out with all 3 being incomplete passes.

Hall has all the potential in the world but he needs to get better at a few things and make less mistakes, i will say that neither pick was his fault, the first one George cut off the route and it actually looked like PI, and the second one was off of Tongas hands (1 of his 4 drops).

Anyways we need to right hte ship in a hurry.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
You won't be playing catch up Mike if you run the ball in the first place

When Max threw his pick six after two 10 + yard runs and a run play for 5 + yards!
so never let your qb throw?

come one, that's just the worst of armchair coaching.

max hall shouldn't have made the throw. period.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
so never let your qb throw?

come one, that's just the worst of armchair coaching.

max hall shouldn't have made the throw. period.
Why call that play when you are getting 4-5 yards a pop? It's not about not letting him throw, it's about patients.

It's smart football, not armchair coaching, simply smart football.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If you don't think Bronco was outcoached, after his defense gives up 55, you need a reality readjustment.

He gives Paul Smith 28 points before he thinks maybe he needs to put pressure on the QB and rush more than 3 or 4?

It was obvious that the defense was reacting all night, and not dictating. Just like Trev Alberts was saying. Smith comes to the line, BYU gives up the blizt or not, Smith steps back, calls another play, and torches us.

No trickery. No fooling the Smith with our coverages. You would have thought Tulsa had 15 video cameras recording our signals.

Let me just say one thing. Thank God I didn't go to the game.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Why call that play when you are getting 4-5 yards a pop? It's not about not letting him throw, it's about patients.

It's smart football, not armchair coaching, simply smart football.
ah yes, don't call a throw as long as you have gained 4 or more yards on 3 consecutive runs. thanks Lombardi.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #18
tooblue

Quote:
From the get go--playone, our o-line dominated them ... 4, 5, 10 yards a carry every running play. The stopped one run play short of three yards maybe once all game!

The difference between this coaching staff and the previous is they will learn from the mistakes.
It is about dictating to the defense what they must do to try and stop you, instead of cute, clever football.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #19
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you don't think Bronco was outcoached, after his defense gives up 55, you need a reality readjustment.

He gives Paul Smith 28 points before he thinks maybe he needs to put pressure on the QB and rush more than 3 or 4?

It was obvious that the defense was reacting all night, and not dictating. Just like Trev Alberts was saying. Smith comes to the line, BYU gives up the blizt or not, Smith steps back, calls another play, and torches us.

No trickery. No fooling the Smith with our coverages. You would have thought Tulsa had 15 video cameras recording our signals.

I agree we should have blitzed however on every play, every time we blitzed good things happened. Smith woudl change the play and bronco would back out of it, he was severely outcoached tonight.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
tooblue

Quote:

I have said over and over that this loss CAN ONLY be pinned on the coaching ... Here, I'll say it differently; "The coaches must shoulder ALL of the blame for this loss!"