cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Excellent point. We've heard all off-season how our OL will be the shining stars this year. What have we seen? A failed goalline stand against AZ. Incredible amount of penalties. Blown assignments leading to turnovers. Mediocre running game largely relying on the skill of the backs and not the OL push.
what was it trev alberts said? "Tulsa gave up 150 yards rushing to middle alaska state and I expected BYU to be able to line up and run it down their throats." Embarrassing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #32
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Thanks exute. You've been in Canada too long. I know it's an attractive idea. That just one change. One small change in the gameplan would have won the game. It's an appealing idea.

Just like the fans who will argue that 1 or 2 referee calls would have changed the outcome, and we were therefore robbed.

It's almost as if you saw this game and decided that our OL was dictating play. Which is an amazing conclusion to make, because I watched the game as well.
It's called ad hominem ... you can't contend with my argument, because you don't understand it, and refuse to understand it so you resort to insults

NO, actually if the offensive play calling was different our O-line could've dictated play And then maybe our QB and defense wouldn't have been in a position to give the ball away or give up big plays.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

no we just would have had additional holding penalties which would have been drive killers.

Hall was moving the ball down the field consistently through the air. The running game was not consistent. The offense scored 47 points, yet somehow it is miscues by the offense that lost us the game????? That's an incredible point of view. As if giving up 55 is not something that was crucial in the loss.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #34
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

This loss really pisses me off, because it was an obvious product of mental mistakes, undisciplined play and failure to adjust.

But it does not destroy any of our REALISTIC objectives for this season. We can still win the conference, we can still go to a bowl game, we can still beat the Utes. And I think we should be able to do those things. But back when we were realistic most of us thought we'd win about 8 games, and this ugly game does not really change that.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #35
tooblue

Quote:
what was it trev alberts said? "Tulsa gave up 150 yards rushing to middle alaska state and I expected BYU to be able to line up and run it down their throats." Embarrassing.
Actually he said that at the beging of the game. I have endorsed that very sentiment. Play calling --and I don't want to hear the Hall checking out of the play crapp-- dictated that the o-line dictate play.

Watch the game again, you will see they dominated and gave Hall time, opened holes etc. The play calling needed to favour the run from the outset. Anae was impatient, his play calling was cute.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
This loss really pisses me off, because it was an obvious product of mental mistakes, undisciplined play and failure to adjust.

But it does not destroy any of our REALISTIC objectives for this season. We can still win the conference, we can still go to a bowl game, we can still beat the Utes. And I think we should be able to do those things. But back when we were realistic most of us thought we'd win about 8 games, and this ugly game does not really change that.
actually I think most had penciled in Tulsa as a win, after the game last year.

without sea changes, I don't think we win the conference. Three losses in conference play seemed impossible on Friday, but on Sunday it is very possible.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 AM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Actually he said that at the beging of the game. I have endorsed that very sentiment. Play calling --and I don't want to hear the Hall checking out of the play crapp-- dictated that the o-line dictate play.

Watch the game again, you will see they dominated and gave Hall time, opened holes etc. The play calling needed to favour the run from the outset. Anae was impatient, his play calling was cute.
you've made your point. Anae lost us the game. Bronco gave a valiant effort and was not outcoached on defense. got it. no need to repeat.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #38
tooblue

Quote:
no we just would have had additional holding penalties which would have been drive killers.

Hall was moving the ball down the field consistently through the air. The running game was not consistent. The offense scored 47 points, yet somehow it is miscues by the offense that lost us the game????? That's an incredible point of view. As if giving up 55 is not something that was crucial in the loss.
I have talked about what blame to place on the defense -the D coordinator gets equal ammount of blame. The offensive play calling cost us this game.

As well as the failure of not having legit D1 kicking talent on the squad ... a carry over from last week, a problem that will cost this team atleast two more games this season!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #39
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post

Good post. One of the things that has made me uncomfortable is all the BCS/Undefeated/Raising the Bar talk we've heard from the players. Once these dreams have been shattered, there's a pretty high possibility of a letdown. We saw some of that tonight.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #40
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
actually I think most had penciled in Tulsa as a win, after the game last year.

without sea changes, I don't think we win the conference. Three losses in conference play seemed impossible on Friday, but on Sunday it is very possible.
The above is why I am not overreacting about all of this. I think the next two games will dictate a great deal about this year. If BYU wins both, I think the swagger will come back. If they split we are looking at win some lose some all year. If we lost both, Bronco might experience the most meteoric fall since Crowton.

I am very grateful the next game is at home.