cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are we seeing Charlie Weiss phenomenon at BYU?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 18 50.00%
I don't know; maybe; too early to tell 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I bet he will do it again, but I think anyone expecting him to do it every year is setting themselves up for emotional suicide.

BYU is what it is.
What is disappointing is that Max Hall looks pretty dang good, which wasn't a given before the season, and we are 1-2.

The rebuilding part of this year was the QB.

We are underperforming.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What is disappointing is that Max Hall looks pretty dang good, which wasn't a given before the season, and we are 1-2.

We are underperforming.
This is my bitch. I bet the 1 and 2 came from Hall being bad, not from the defense, the kicking game and the general lack of preparation being the cause. Losing to Tulsa stinks.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm really tired of losing to all these teams in non-conference. Boston College. Arizona. UCLA. etc. It wears on me. I don't get very excited about beating the scrubs in the MWC that no one cares about, with 20k fans in the stands.

We talk big, but seem to come up short almost every time. I'm tired of losing bowl games. I'm tired of being disgusted (Motor City Bowl). I'm tired of being ashamed. That's the promise of Bronco. That he will change all that. I'm hopeful, but I'm still waiting.
Motor City Bowl? Boy, you sure can hold a grudge.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #44
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

We are underperforming.
I don't think UCLA was a bad loss. I think they underperformed against Utah. It was a winnable game but not a bad loss. I also think many are getting all worked up about Tulsa. It was a bit of a buzzsaw.

IMO, this team should have won one of those two. I can agree that at this point in time BYU has underperformed this year, but I don't believe it is to the extent that some of you project.

Further while Max Hall has looked good he has also made some enormous mistakes that have played a big role in the outcomes of the two losses. I stated after the U of A game how huge it was for BYU that the U of A cb dropped that potential pick 6 that hit him right in the hands because had he caught that ball the entire complexion of that game changes.

Regardless, I believe UCLA beat BYU because they had better athletes. Tulsa beat the Y because BYU was totally unprepared. For anyone to believe that the loss to Tulsa was as bad as the SDSU loss is difficult for me to grasp. That smells of someone who just wants to whine.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Regardless, I believe UCLA beat BYU because they had better athletes. Tulsa beat the Y because BYU was totally unprepared. For anyone to believe that the loss to Tulsa was as bad as the SDSU loss is difficult for me to grasp. That smells of someone who just wants to whine.
It mirrors the 1985 UTEP loss, because we had just lost to UCLA even though we kinda expected to win, we were on a high horse expecting a blowout win and gave a half-hearted effort in an ill-prepared method to lose to an inferior opponent.

1985 UTEP was much worse, I watched every stinking moment, as I wondered aloud why not Fowler who was not injured unlike Bosco.

So, because we were unprepared both mentally and physically I see some analogies to the SDSU loss.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #46
FMCoug

FMCoug

I think the comparison works better with Crowton. BYU 2001 = ND 2006. Then the wheels fell off.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #47
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think UCLA was a bad loss. I think they underperformed against Utah. It was a winnable game but not a bad loss. I also think many are getting all worked up about Tulsa. It was a bit of a buzzsaw.
In your opinion, did UCLA also underperform against BYU? Or did they overperform, or play at their skill level?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:15 AM   #48
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
In your opinion, did UCLA also underperform against BYU? Or did they overperform, or play at their skill level?
UCLA is a much better team at home they are on the road. I don't think they played up to their potential against BYU, as BYU should not have doubled up the Bruins statistically, but BYU played into their hands a bit through stupid errors. Regardless, against BYU I think the Bruins played with emotion. Against the Utes, the Bruins just did not care.

It reminded me of an undefeated UCLA squad in 2005 rolling into Tucson and losing to a two win U of A team 55-7.

Karl Dorrell is a mediocre coach who rarely gets the best from his talent, I think he got enough to be dangerous when the Bruins played BYU.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
UCLA is a much better team at home they are on the road. I don't think they played up to their potential against BYU, as BYU should not have doubled up the Bruins statistically, but BYU played into their hands a bit through stupid errors. Regardless, against BYU I think the Bruins played with emotion. Against the Utes, the Bruins just did not care.

It reminded me of an undefeated UCLA squad in 2005 rolling into Tucson and losing to a two win U of A team 55-7.

Karl Dorrell is a mediocre coach who rarely gets the best from his talent, I think he got enough to be dangerous when the Bruins played BYU.
I partly disagree with you about UCLA against the Utes. UCLA cared until midway through the 3rd quarter when Louks threw the TD pass to Rogers (where everyone went right and Louks threw back to the left). After that, UCLA gave up.

Wusses.

I was hoping that UCLA would score, so I could give them a pity cheer, much like what UCLA fans gave BYU several years ago when the Bruins throttled BYU in the Rose Bowl.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #50
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

I think that UCLA played with quite a bit of emotion up until the fumble caused by Robert Johnson deflated them late in the 3rd quarter.

The Utes are much better than many are giving them credit for in getting this win.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote