cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #61
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I was just saying that for the 2007 class. I got the data by switching to 2007 from the 2008 you linked.

My comment about them being equal is based on the recruiting base or how difficult it is to recruit. BYU has access to a large portion of a 4M U.S. LDS membership, especially Poly athletes, and white LDS OL and QB's. TCU has UT leftovers in the Dallas area, which is one of the prime recruiting markets in the nation with the abundance of skill players and the maturity of high school programs. I call it a wash.
Would you agree with me that it is easier for a bad BYU coach to recruit than a bad TCU coach?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #62
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BM inherited a good football team with a junior QB who would go on to be a 2nd round NFL pick. 6-6 was not a good job with that team. Or do you disagree?
I thought it was an adequate performance. John Beck was not a 2nd round draft pick when Bronco and staff inherited him. I think they should get some credit for how much he improved. I am quite confident that I could find posts from you and I about Beck strongly arguing that an NFL future was not in his cards up until he beat Patterson's Horned Frogs. Further, Bronco inherited a program that did not know how to win and his defensive talent was lacking. If he did anything his first year he changed the attitude of the players into believing they could win again.

I don't think that 6-6 is ever a good year for BYU, but considering the circumstances and issues I don't think he grossly underwhelmed.

Saying that the SDSU game was about as bad as I have seen any BYU team look. It appears that the game was what we might call a threshold.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #63
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Btw, Patterson has turned down a BCS job. Bronco has never been offered.

To me that says Patterson has more market value.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #64
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Would you agree with me that it is easier for a bad BYU coach to recruit than a bad TCU coach?
It's a good question. I'd probably say a good coach would have equal success. BYU church affiliation probably limits the upside and downside. So a bad coach would do worse at TCU and a great coach would do better at TCU, in terms of recruiting.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #65
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Btw, Patterson has turned down a BCS job. Bronco has never been offered.

To me that says Patterson has more market value.
I don't doubt that Patterson presently has more market value. He does have a 5 year or so head start on Bronco.

Patterson is a good coach, don't get me wrong. His consistency speaks for itself.