cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Actually you need to keep the heat on the clueless fans. Although I know they have little affect, I sometimes worry that some administrator types hear what they say and actually think most fans feel that way.

Holmoe and others are smart enough to pay attention to their most important constituents, the ones who run the University and the ones who pay for the program.

A guy the other day said it is different at BYU, people who have money can't influence what is being done. I fell off my chair laughing. The other people in the room weren't so kind. One of them called him a dumb ass.
well then it's too bad that those important donors led to Holmoe scheduling USU and Army. They are on my s*** list as well now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #52
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Second, look at the increases in pay the coaches are getting. That is a major statement in my opinion and another indication the people that are running things are in the Athletic department and not the social studies and religion departments.
I agree getting the coaches the pay increase was good. But from what I've seen of Holmoe I'd be shocked if he had the vision to create this strategy and the potency to carry it through. I'm betting some of 71's friends grabbed Holmoe after a CC meeting, and said listen dude we got lucky with our last two coaching hires going after the cheapest guy we could find, and we're going to give you some money if you promise to give it to the coaches.

I see nothing visionary or inspiring from Holmoe. He and Hale reversed all the scheduling progress Tucker and Fehlberg made. Rondo was pushing for national attention and signficance with every move he made. He had a deal in the works to make the BYU-Utah game Thanksgiving night prime time ESPN national audience but it was nixed by the brethren. Holmoe's big deal is to make the rivalry the Utah Credit Union bowl.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #53
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree getting the coaches the pay increase was good. But from what I've seen of Holmoe I'd be shocked if he had the vision to create this strategy and the potency to carry it through. I'm betting some of 71's friends grabbed Holmoe after a CC meeting, and said listen dude we got lucky with our last two coaching hires going after the cheapest guy we could find, and we're going to give you some money if you promise to give it to the coaches.

I see nothing visionary or inspiring from Holmoe. He and Hale reversed all the scheduling progress Tucker and Fehlberg made. Rondo was pushing for national attention and signficance with every move he made. He had a deal in the works to make the BYU-Utah game Thanksgiving night prime time ESPN national audience but it was nixed by the brethren. Holmoe's big deal is to make the rivalry the Utah Credit Union bowl.
If that is the case, the money will dry up. I guess we will have to see who is reading Holmoe better you or me. Time will tell.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #54
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
well then it's too bad that those important donors led to Holmoe scheduling USU and Army. They are on my s*** list as well now.
Who else do we play the year we play Army? If there are two decent BCS teams on the schedule, I don't mind Army being on the schedule. That is actually a great scheduled game. It is a national team and not a very good one. Perfect scheduling.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Who else do we play the year we play Army? If there are two decent BCS teams on the schedule, I don't mind Army being on the schedule. That is actually a great scheduled game. It is a national team and not a very good one. Perfect scheduling.
the only time I see Army on TV is when they play Navy.

Otherwise they are never even mentioned.

They have almost less relevance than Wyoming.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote