cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
they can leave the MWC. that's what they can do.
For what?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
For what?
Independence.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Independence.
Yeah, that's a financially viable alternative... ever wonder why there used to be several very good independent programs and now it's only Notre Dame, Army, Navy and Western Kentucky?

None of these teams are fully independent either, just for football.

You think BYU can somehow keep one foot in independence for football and one foot in the MWC for all the other sports?

Just because you don't like the situation, doesn't mean that your half-baked solution constitutes an improvement.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You rode to the rescue to refute Mike and then take a shot at me. What is your problem with Mike bitching about how crappy the MWC is. What is your problem with not wanting to schedule EWU's.

Why don't you just stick to arguing against someone's points and try not to expand it into the person is attacking BYU. I don't know how it works in your world, but in mine if everyone becomes satisfied and isn't asking for more, the situation regresses.

I have said countless times recently that I think the BYU admin. is doing a great job now. I don't see any EWU's on the future schedule and I think I have every right to express my feeling I don't want to see any in the future either.
I have griped about EWU as much as anyone. But I learned something over the weekend that affected my opinion. For some reason, BYU ended up with an open date. BYU sent feelers all over the country to find a team that would fill the slot. EWU was the only team in the country that responded. So it came down to EWU or nothing.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have griped about EWU as much as anyone. But I learned something over the weekend that affected my opinion. For some reason, BYU ended up with an open date. BYU sent feelers all over the country to find a team that would fill the slot. EWU was the only team in the country that responded. So it came down to EWU or nothing.
You won't find me arguing that BYU could have done anything about EWU. As a matter of fact I have stated numerous times I am happy, not excited, but happy about this years home schedule.

My whole argument is and always has been, let's not schedule those type of games in the future.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Yeah, that's a financially viable alternative... ever wonder why there used to be several very good independent programs and now it's only Notre Dame, Army, Navy and Western Kentucky?

None of these teams are fully independent either, just for football.

You think BYU can somehow keep one foot in independence for football and one foot in the MWC for all the other sports?

Just because you don't like the situation, doesn't mean that your half-baked solution constitutes an improvement.
Now that's a good argument. Indepedence is not a solution. No way would it work.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Now that's a good argument. Indepedence is not a solution. No way would it work.
MWC wont' work either.

I choose uncertain death (independence) over certain death (MWC).

I would argue that there is no team in BYU's position, in terms of dwarfing it's other conference members, and not having BCS money available to it.

BYU is better off with a bunch of teams that pull in 25k fans for their home games???? Freak, add a few BCS games as a non-conf and just the TV alone would pay for it.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #28
BYU71

Quote:
MWC wont' work either.

I choose uncertain death (independence) over certain death (MWC).

I would argue that there is no team in BYU's position, in terms of dwarfing it's other conference members, and not having BCS money available to it.

BYU is better off with a bunch of teams that pull in 25k fans for their home games???? Freak, add a few BCS games as a non-conf and just the TV alone would pay for it.
Here is how the MWC works. BYU dominates it and schedules 3 BCS teams a year. One lower rung type. Mid rung type. Top rung type. Schedule USU.

That works for getting us the type of national recognition Boise State has gotten. It is a church school. That is the best we can hope for until some BCS conf. decides to expand.

Believe me, if we have those kind of schedules there will be plenty of support and money for the program.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Here is how the MWC works. BYU dominates it and schedules 3 BCS teams a year. One lower rung type. Mid rung type. Top rung type. Schedule USU.

That works for getting us the type of national recognition Boise State has gotten. It is a church school. That is the best we can hope for until some BCS conf. decides to expand.

Believe me, if we have those kind of schedules there will be plenty of support and money for the program.
there isn't a single year on BYU's future schedule that fits your parameters out to 2013. Hopefully Holmoe will be fired before then and some changes can be made.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
BYU71

Quote:
there isn't a single year on BYU's future schedule that fits your parameters out to 2013. Hopefully Holmoe will be fired before then and some changes can be made.
You are getting carried away here Mike. Reminds me of your religion posts on CB and making me feel quilty for coming to your aid vs Indy.