cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #41
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Hawaii looked amazing against San Jose State. Many national championship quests have died on that Spartans home turf, but Hawaii dominated an otherwise high calibre foe.
Yes, and lest we forget, June Jones stated matter of factly that had the conditions not been so muddy "We [Hawaii] would probably have scored another 60 points."
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 AM   #42
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
BlueK, this goes beyond the specifics of Hawaii 2007. I'm not trying to defend Hawaii 2007. I'm fighting against the same SOS mindset that was used against us back in 1984; which has resulted in many teams beyond Hawaii 2007 (Utah 2004, Boise State 2006, etc.) being criticized by BYU fans who should have known better.

I lived in Tennessee in 1984. I had to listen to a daily diet of this crap back then. I don't particularly enjoy hearing it fans of my own school.
I understand what you're saying and to a great extent I agree. My problem with Hawaii isn't really their schedule. It's the fact that they just don't look like a good team to me. I guess it's subjective. I do think they will lose pretty soon and it will all be moot anyway.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #43
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am not explaining myself very well.

Bottom line is if they have shit schedules year after year in the future, the season ticket holders will get tired and quit paying the prices they now pay.

Indy can pull all of the statistics he wants out of his ass to try and disprove that, but that is what will happen. Right now they haven't damaged the schedule enough to cause that. However, those who think they don't have to play the big boys as they have in the past and things will still be fine are just dreamin a dream.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I feel some people are like the libs. Figuring out ways other people can pay for there jollies.
I want to see good games, but the truth is that winning is more important to ticket sales and donations. I was basically told if you can't write a 6 figure check we don't need you anymore so either send in your donation or don't. I was not at the $100 level either. Going 10-2 last year against a crap schedule brought the donors and folks wanting to get back on board out of the woodwork.

What would have you paid for season tickets to the NC year? You would have gotten games against Baylor, Tulsa, Wyoming, UTEP, SDSU and Utah State. 1986 you would have gotten two good games in UCLA and Washington, but 1986 went right back to such great games as Temple, and Oregon State.

BYU played plenty of crap games and got donations and butts in the seats, they will continue to do so when they win. So from BYU's point of view it is better to play crap and win and keep the money pipeline open.

I don't complain anymore because I can't write the 6 figure check and have divorced myself from the CC and BYU donations. If I divide my former annual CC donation amongst 3-5 different charities they welcome me with open arms, invite me to social events and at least act grateful much more than BYU ever pretended to do.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #44
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
I want to see good games, but the truth is that winning is more important to ticket sales and donations. I was basically told if you can't write a 6 figure check we don't need you anymore so either send in your donation or don't. I was not at the $100 level either. Going 10-2 last year against a crap schedule brought the donors and folks wanting to get back on board out of the woodwork.

What would have you paid for season tickets to the NC year? You would have gotten games against Baylor, Tulsa, Wyoming, UTEP, SDSU and Utah State. 1986 you would have gotten two good games in UCLA and Washington, but 1986 went right back to such great games as Temple, and Oregon State.

BYU played plenty of crap games and got donations and butts in the seats, they will continue to do so when they win. So from BYU's point of view it is better to play crap and win and keep the money pipeline open.

I don't complain anymore because I can't write the 6 figure check and have divorced myself from the CC and BYU donations. If I divide my former annual CC donation amongst 3-5 different charities they welcome me with open arms, invite me to social events and at least act grateful much more than BYU ever pretended to do.
We will see. I believe tha added interest came from folks who anticipate last year was only the start of great things to come. You buy in anticipation. If they don't deliver you will see them begging for your checks.

By the way, your story is a little hard to beleive. I know two people who wrote out $10,000 checks last year and they were treated nicely. The seats they got weren't that great, but they didn't feel they were treated with a take it or leave it attitude.

If I didn't really think that BYU gets it and will do everything they can to not dummy down the schedule, I honestly think I would finally stop going to games. I missed my first one in 30 years this year and it wasn't so bad.

My kids aren't excited to go because they say Cougar Stadium is just boring. They play the music pre-game softer than the organist at Sacrament meeting.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #45
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We will see. I believe tha added interest came from folks who anticipate last year was only the start of great things to come. You buy in anticipation. If they don't deliver you will see them begging for your checks.

By the way, your story is a little hard to beleive. I know two people who wrote out $10,000 checks last year and they were treated nicely. The seats they got weren't that great, but they didn't feel they were treated with a take it or leave it attitude.

If I didn't really think that BYU gets it and will do everything they can to not dummy down the schedule, I honestly think I would finally stop going to games. I missed my first one in 30 years this year and it wasn't so bad.

My kids aren't excited to go because they say Cougar Stadium is just boring. They play the music pre-game softer than the organist at Sacrament meeting.
To be honest I don't care if you believe me or not. I am comfortable in my posting record here and CB that I have not lied about things, so you can choose to believe me or not. I am not going to waste time trying to convince you. But please save me the CC apologist attitude that you clearly have, Mike Middlefield has been going to call me and "bring me back into the fold" for over 3 months.

All you need to do is look at attendance. Google NCAA attendance and you can get numbers back to 1998 without even trying to look. BYU had the best home games they have had in the last 30 years (save the Miami game) from 1999-2005 and only one year did they average a sellout 1999. It is about putting buts in the seats and getting the donations. Winning does that attendance in the late 70's and early 80's with horrendous home schedules was so much that they had to expand. Attendance in the late 90's and early 2000's with great home schedules was horrible.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU fans, until proven otherwise, are not interested in 6-6 teams that play crappy teams, but seem plenty interested in 11-2 teams that play crappy teams.

The interest is a function of our success moreso than a function of our opponents. Quality of opposition is clearly a secondary factor.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #47
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
To be honest I don't care if you believe me or not. I am comfortable in my posting record here and CB that I have not lied about things, so you can choose to believe me or not. I am not going to waste time trying to convince you. But please save me the CC apologist attitude that you clearly have, Mike Middlefield has been going to call me and "bring me back into the fold" for over 3 months.

All you need to do is look at attendance. Google NCAA attendance and you can get numbers back to 1998 without even trying to look. BYU had the best home games they have had in the last 30 years (save the Miami game) from 1999-2005 and only one year did they average a sellout 1999. It is about putting buts in the seats and getting the donations. Winning does that attendance in the late 70's and early 80's with horrendous home schedules was so much that they had to expand. Attendance in the late 90's and early 2000's with great home schedules was horrible.
To be honest, I don't expect you to care. I guess I just should have said I know two people who were treated better, but that might have suggested I was questioning you too. I don't know your individual circumstance, so let's just leave it there.

Let's just say my experience is that with the people I know who have paid in some good money to the program are hoping the schedules get better, not dummied down.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #48
BYU71

Quote:
BYU fans, until proven otherwise, are not interested in 6-6 teams that play crappy teams, but seem plenty interested in 11-2 teams that play crappy teams.

The interest is a function of our success moreso than a function of our opponents. Quality of opposition is clearly a secondary factor.

Can we just say it is clear to you. I know people who don't think so and at least two callers called in bitching about the price of tickets and the quality of the opponents.

Let me ask you this. I can't give some extra tickets away and yet for the Utah game I have people calling me constantly asking if I can get them tickets. I had the same thing for the Arizona game.

BYU stunk after 2001. I had people calling me asking if I could get tickets for USC and ND. Things aren't as clear as you think.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #49
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I had people calling me asking if I could get tickets for USC and ND. Things aren't as clear as you think.
Two games doth not a home season make. What I'm talking about is established historical fact. It has nothing to do with my personal opinion. The newly expanded LES stadium was packed to the rafters playing Long Beach State, North Texas and so forth back in the glory days. Why? Because they were a damn good team that won virtually all of their games. Why has home attendance been so high this year? Because of what we did in 2006.

I see UCLA, Washington and Florida State on future home schedules in the near future. That should generate plenty of excitement.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #50
BYU71

Quote:
Two games doth not a home season make. What I'm talking about is established historical fact. It has nothing to do with my personal opinion. The newly expanded LES stadium was packed to the rafters playing Long Beach State, North Texas and so forth back in the glory days. Why? Because they were a damn good team that won virtually all of their games. Why has home attendance been so high this year? Because of what we did in 2006.

I see UCLA, Washington and Florida State on future home schedules in the near future. That should generate plenty of excitement.
Indy, why don't we just end this back and forth here. I think you are full of shit and you think I am. I am OK with that.