cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If you dig around enough, you'll see there have been plenty of others that have said the same thing that I have zero association with or influence over. But that's another thread...
Dude, Elder Mendenhall intimates as such to various booster groups. It must be gospel!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Nothing buys bygones quicker than wins. Winning gives a coach a semi-impermeable shield to protect him from other problems in a program. Crowton lost his, and thus the HC issues got him.
Yeah, just like A&M is going to claim email-gate as the reason to void Fran's contract and fire him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Thought some of you anti-CBers would want to see this. It's a nice summary of a speech Bronco apparently gave at the Cougar United luncheon. Maybe some of you have heard this stuff before, but some of it was new to me.

I thought it was fascinating to hear that Bronco thought he was a short-timer as soon as he was hired. I wonder if the administration gave him that impression. The anecdote about a playoff was annoying (no surprise there), and it's fascinating to me that the penalty problem is low on his priority list.

His anti-booing sentiment I heard myself when I attended one of his firesides. I think it's awesome. He ought to continually call out fans on booing.

I couldn't be more enthused about Bronco as our HC.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3153581

I've heard all of this except for the new MWC thing.

Add two teams to the MWC? Everytime I think Bronco has some real Rondo-style vision for the program he says crap that makes me wonder. Small thinking. He's coached at Oregon State when it was nothing, La Tech, and New Mexico. I think he actually believes it when he says the MWC is tough and they need a non-D1AA game to balance out the schedule. Pure crap.

Glad he's for a playoff. I'm surprised by that story, though. A lot of coaches are vocal about a playoff. It's the university prez's that are against it.

Booing. He's got to get over it. That's small man again. Be bigger than it, Bronco. I heard this victim talk at the fireside last week. Those passionate fans are the ones that enable you to make $1M coaching a SPORT. You are living the dream, and it's because of those passionate fans. Embrace them. Validate them for being passionate.

I like the focus on scoring. That's a change since he started. He (and Indy) used to talk about yards. KW (and I) talk about scoring. Bronco's evolved on that. He might want to set a different bar for the offense. That's somewhere around #80 in the nation.

I'm all for wearing blue.

Recruiting. I've heard him say this stuff for a couple years. I think it's probably for the purpose of blowing smoke up people like Tex's arse who actually believe BYU FB is a worthiness contest. I doubt the 3.0 GPA thing is true. If we turn away a stud athlete with a 2.9, that would be the dumbest thing Bronco did yet. And I don't think he's that dumb.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yeah, just like A&M is going to claim email-gate as the reason to void Fran's contract and fire him.
A&M != BYU, but the principle still loosely holds. cf: IU and Bobby Knight.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I heard Bronco speak at this years Legacy

CC luncheon. I walked away both satisfied as a fan and impressed.

Learned not to read to much into after he says something listening to peoples interpretation.

Here is what I heard, paraphrased. Bronco said he considers his number one job at BYU is to build young men and have them live in accordance with the BYU vision. Of course a big smile comes accross the face of Pres. Samuelson and Skousen and BYU71 frowns.

Then he says, I know many of you in this room don't agree with this and BYU71's ears perk up. He said, I know if I don't win I will be fired. Skousen shakes his head no, but I know Bronco is right. Either he will be fired or BYU will have to find some way of funding their it's OK to lose as long as we obey the HC policy. Bronco then says, integrity without winning has no credibility. Wow, BYU71 is really in the Bronco camp. Yea, sure. Have the kids live the BYU vision as your most important goal, that is fine with me. You get it Bronco. Words are great and winning is the bottom line.

Therefor, while I have fun with the Crowton was fired because of the honor code crowd, I still know why the guy was fired. I still know why people are showing up at firesides.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Add two teams to the MWC? Everytime I think Bronco has some real Rondo-style vision for the program he says crap that makes me wonder. Small thinking. He's coached at Oregon State when it was nothing, La Tech, and New Mexico. I think he actually believes it when he says the MWC is tough and they need a non-D1AA game to balance out the schedule. Pure crap.

Glad he's for a playoff. I'm surprised by that story, though. A lot of coaches are vocal about a playoff. It's the university prez's that are against it.

Booing. He's got to get over it. That's small man again. Be bigger than it, Bronco. I heard this victim talk at the fireside last week. Those passionate fans are the ones that enable you to make $1M coaching a SPORT. You are living the dream, and it's because of those passionate fans. Embrace them. Validate them for being passionate.

I like the focus on scoring. That's a change since he started. He (and Indy) used to talk about yards. KW (and I) talk about scoring. Bronco's evolved on that. He might want to set a different bar for the offense. That's somewhere around #80 in the nation.

Recruiting. I've heard him say this stuff for a couple years. I think it's probably for the purpose of blowing smoke up people like Tex's arse who actually believe BYU FB is a worthiness contest. I doubt the 3.0 GPA thing is true. If we turn away a stud athlete with a 2.9, that would be the dumbest thing Bronco did yet. And I don't think he's that dumb.
I talk about pass efficiency differential.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I talk about pass efficiency differential.
I like your PED stat. But I remember when you were apologizing for Crowton and his #30 total yards offense/#80 scoring offense, we would go around and around on which was a more valuable stat.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think our culture is good at teaching people how to blow smoke up others arses. Little kids say they know the church is true on Sunday and they are off the hook for anything they do wrong the rest of the week. Didn't you have some ZL's or even an AP that in person you wondered if it was even remotely the same guy as when he was around the mission President. One of my relatives still can't get over the fact a BYU President was allowed to plagerize and yet blow smoke up people arses about how important the honor code was.

I sit in Priesthood meeting and luckily there are a lot of large arses in there or the smoke would overflow out into the foyers.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
CC luncheon. I walked away both satisfied as a fan and impressed.

Learned not to read to much into after he says something listening to peoples interpretation.

Here is what I heard, paraphrased. Bronco said he considers his number one job at BYU is to build young men and have them live in accordance with the BYU vision. Of course a big smile comes accross the face of Pres. Samuelson and Skousen and BYU71 frowns.

Then he says, I know many of you in this room don't agree with this and BYU71's ears perk up. He said, I know if I don't win I will be fired. Skousen shakes his head no, but I know Bronco is right. Either he will be fired or BYU will have to find some way of funding their it's OK to lose as long as we obey the HC policy. Bronco then says, integrity without winning has no credibility. Wow, BYU71 is really in the Bronco camp. Yea, sure. Have the kids live the BYU vision as your most important goal, that is fine with me. You get it Bronco. Words are great and winning is the bottom line.

Therefor, while I have fun with the Crowton was fired because of the honor code crowd, I still know why the guy was fired. I still know why people are showing up at firesides.
At the fireside last week, he was talking about what he felt was his higher purpose at BYU substituting the word "playing" for the word "fighting" in the Captain Moroni fighting for freedom, liberty, family, religion, etc. He was laying it on thick as usual. He also said many of you will evaluate my value, my worth as an individual by the score of a three and a half hour game tomorrow afternoon. He pauses and holds with a serious face to make the point. Laughter. He waits for laughter to die down. "You laugh but you KNOW it's true and so do I". Pauses and holds the serious face again to more laughter. I felt like me and him were the only ones in the room. It was spirit to spirit pure communication. He gets it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I like your PED stat. But I remember when you were apologizing for Crowton and his #30 total yards offense/#80 scoring offense, we would go around and around on which was a more valuable stat.
Apologizing? It seemed these arguments (yards vs points) were centered around the 2003 defense, not the offense. Was I apologizing for Bronco by blaming the discrepancy on the cheap points the oppoisition got due to piss-poor offensive production and numerous turnovers from Crowton's offense? Yeah, I was apologizing for Crowton....

BTW, my PED stat was developed after those particular wars were being waged.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote