cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Jay, what's your problem with a coach that sticks up for a player that gets booed? Does Bronco's complaint strike too close to home for you or something?
1. I like a coach protecting his players. If that was all he was doing, I would like that, but he'd need to acknowledge the fans right to be passionate at the same time to do it right.

2. That's not what he's doing. He started this act with the "58K fans booed ME, MY first game". He's playing the martyr. It's not about protecting his players. I just think it's ugly, lacks confidence, lacks vision, and creates emnity between himself and fan base for no reason.

3. It does strike close to home. I take it personally. I was in that crowd of 58K fans (though I didn't boo). I'm sure Bronco would be offended by my Jay Santos internet persona. He might even ban me from the stadium. But I'm a good fan--in fact I don't even boo. I might have gone "arghh" when Reed got whistled for the penalty. I do it to my own kids when they show me a report card I don't like. It's OK.

Here's the bottom line. He's cracking on that crowd of 58K fans in front of a fireside packed to the back of die hard BYU fans. He's doing it like it's a family gathering and it's safe to crack on his enemies because he's among true friends. What he needs to get is that every one of those people at the fireside helping him living the dream, giving him a voice, giving his wife a voice are the exact ones that were booing that day. You can't turn on and off passion in a program. If it's there, there's going to be lots of money and support and good times and accompanying boos and nasty internet posts. If it's not there, you don't have boos or nasty internet posts, but you don't have 65K at a stadium or packed houses for firesides or $$ to enable you to have family Hawaii surf vacations.

Last edited by jay santos; 11-07-2007 at 04:07 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Jay, what's your problem with a coach that sticks up for a player that gets booed? Does Bronco's complaint strike too close to home for you or something?
Some people call me Jay for short, so I will answer your question for me. I don't care if Bronco calls out the fans for booing. I hope he doesn't care that I think he is going overboard worrying about it.

I think I can believe he is a great coach for BYU and maybe would be elsewhere without giving up my right to think sometimes he is dead wrong.

Control types want to control everything. Sometimes they just don't get what they want. It is one reason why I think Bronco fits better in the BYU environmnet than he might otherwise. He works for an organizaiont that is into control.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Some people call me Jay for short, so I will answer your question for me. I don't care if Bronco calls out the fans for booing. I hope he doesn't care that I think he is going overboard worrying about it.

I think I can believe he is a great coach for BYU and maybe would be elsewhere without giving up my right to think sometimes he is dead wrong.

Control types want to control everything. Sometimes they just don't get what they want. It is one reason why I think Bronco fits better in the BYU environmnet than he might otherwise. He works for an organizaiont that is into control.
All organizations are into control; they just differ sometimes on what they are keen on controlling.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #34
BYU71

Quote:
All organizations are into control; they just differ sometimes on what they are keen on controlling.
True. I myself would love to control everything I can. I think the best coaches out there or at least most of them are control freaks.

The guy with New England, Parcels, Urban. Some places allow more control than others though.

You would have to admit BYU is far more interested in controlling students than say UCLA.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #35
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What he needs to get is that every one of those people at the fireside helping him living the dream, giving him a voice, giving his wife a voice are the exact ones that were booing that day. You can't turn on and off passion in a program. If it's there, there's going to be lots of money and support and good times and accompanying boos and nasty internet posts. If it's not there, you don't have boos or nasty internet posts, but you don't have 65K at a stadium or packed houses for firesides or $$ to enable you to have family Hawaii surf vacations.
True, you'll never eliminate booing altogether. There are idiots in every crowd, especially one as large as LES, and they will insist on being idiots. That doesn't mean we have to tolerate (or even encourage) them. Some teenagers will have sex no matter what ... doesn't mean we provide them condoms and RU-486. Passionate does not automatically equal stupid.

And anyway, if you didn't boo, then Bronco wasn't talking to you. So what have you got your shorts in a wad about?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #36
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
True, you'll never eliminate booing altogether. There are idiots in every crowd, especially one as large as LES, and they will insist on being idiots. That doesn't mean we have to tolerate (or even encourage) them. Some teenagers will have sex no matter what ... doesn't mean we provide them condoms and RU-486. Passionate does not automatically equal stupid.

And anyway, if you didn't boo, then Bronco wasn't talking to you. So what have you got your shorts in a wad about?
So if you boo, you are an idiot. How else does a fan complain about a performance. I guess you think the fan doesn't have that right.

Bronco has made criticisms of players, I guess he has that right because he is the coach??

Booing our own players would not be my choice of expressing a complaint, however I wouldn't call someone who did an idiot.

Now if the team wins 35-16 and someone calls into the show complaining the game wasn't exciting enough, I would say that callers comments were idiotic. I might even boo the caller.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

You should stick to religion and politics.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
So if you boo, you are an idiot. How else does a fan complain about a performance. I guess you think the fan doesn't have that right.

Bronco has made criticisms of players, I guess he has that right because he is the coach??

Booing our own players would not be my choice of expressing a complaint, however I wouldn't call someone who did an idiot.

Now if the team wins 35-16 and someone calls into the show complaining the game wasn't exciting enough, I would say that callers comments were idiotic. I might even boo the caller.
Booing is certainly not acceptable in Mormon culture, and in other parts of society. This is perhaps the gentile in me, but why in matter of public discourse does our culture place such a heavy emphasis on conformity in matters not essential?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #39
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Booing is certainly not acceptable in Mormon culture, and in other parts of society. This is perhaps the gentile in me, but why in matter of public discourse does our culture place such a heavy emphasis on conformity in matters not essential?
How many times do you here "we" aren't like that. "We" don't do that. "We" should be ashamed of how we acted.

There are just some in our culture who think the have the right standards for all of us and they back it up with "I do what the Prophet does". The Prophet doesn't boo, we don't boo.

The Prophet doesn't like father and sons outings, we don't, oh wait that one doesn't work.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

This conversation reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

JERRY: Hey, what's the deal? What was goin' on there? I invite you down here, I have an important show, and she heckles me?!

KRAMER: Look, she didn't mean anything.

JERRY: Well, what is the matter with her? Is she crazy?!

KRAMER: She's just being enthusiastic, that's all!

<Toby enters.>

JERRY: Hey! What is wrong with you?!

TOBY: Me? Nothing's wrong with me.

JERRY: You boo me?! You hiss?! You didn't stop blathering throughout the whole set!

TOBY: Oh, come on! I thought you're a pro! That's part of the show.

JERRY: No! Not part of the show! Booing and hissing are not part of the show! You boo puppets! You hiss villains in silent movies!

TOBY: Well, that's the way I express myself. How are you gonna make it in this business if you can't take it?

JERRY: Oh, I can take it.

-----

Later Jerry boos her in her office. Heh.

It would kinda fun to see how some of the boo-birds would react to getting booed at their jobs by a few thousand people standing over their shoulder.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote