cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sadly I think BYU fans will be satisfied with this kind of year, even with another loss IF BYU is ranked at some point in the season.

It's the lack of national ranking that has made this season non-compelling, despite the wins.
they will be satisfied for now. This kind of year in a couple of years won't be that exciting. At least it won't be for me and my friends. Right now though it is fine thanks to TCU wacking UNM. I am looking forward to going to LES for the first time since AFA.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Untrue

Quote:
Probably the same way as me. On TV.
In 2000, we had 6 national telecasts, 3 on Saturday
2001 - 6, 4 on Saturday
2002 - 4, 1 on Saturday
2003 - 5, 2 on Saturday, 1 of which was on NBC (ND) - which would be no different today.
2004 - 6, 4 on Saturday, includes 1 on CSTV
2005 - 1, 1 on Saturday - again ND.

We averaged 4 1/2 national telecasts the last 6 years of our ESPN contract, with only 2 1/2 of those being Saturday games.

Last year 6, with 4 on Saturday
This year 6, with 5 on Saturday

Even if 3 or 4 times as many people watched that 1 ESPN game in 2005 (my best guess - which I'd put up against your 50x guess any day) we have had more viewership the last 2 years than 2005.

Yes, we were in more homes in prior years, and yes if we don't get on the satellites, the experiment will be a failure, but it's completely disingenuious to suggest the current TV deal is killing recruiting. It's simply not.

And it only has the potential to get better. We need to be bitching, but our bitching needs to be focused towards getting the mtn on the dish, not going Indy. It's just stupid.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Big East Thurs. night game had a rating 13x bigger than the BYU-UCLA versus game on a Sat. I guess I am the only one here who can actually google.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n20508878

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743356-139.stm
You're the one making the exaggerated 100x/50x claims, so I was allowing you to back up your own claims. Heaven forbid someone else doing the legwork for a change.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
We need to be bitching, but our bitching needs to be focused towards getting the mtn on the dish, not going Indy. It's just stupid.
And this is already what BYU is focusing on--getting better TV dist, not going Indy.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The Big East Thurs. night game had a rating 13x bigger than the BYU-UCLA versus game on a Sat. I guess I am the only one here who can actually google.
I can google.

I recently discovered online that a Corvette is a sports car. Imagine that! An American made sports car.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #26
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Again, disingenuious

Quote:
Do you think if perhaps BYU vs UCLA had been a battle of top 10 teams, a few more people might have found there way to VS? I think that might be true.

Those were games with huge national implications, and they fell well below your 50x estimate, which was to be for your average Thursday night BYU-whoever game.

Don't be a maroon.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #27
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our focus needs to be to do whatever butt kissing is necessary to get us into a BCS conference.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Our focus needs to be to do whatever butt kissing is necessary to get us into a BCS conference.
This is also BYU's focus....stated so by Holmoe, although not so eloquently.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Do you think if perhaps BYU vs UCLA had been a battle of top 10 teams, a few more people might have found there way to VS? I think that might be true.

Those were games with huge national implications, and they fell well below your 50x estimate, which was to be for your average Thursday night BYU-whoever game.

Don't be a maroon.
I said I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50x. I'm not sure that it isn't still 50x for some of the other games.

10x is still HUGE.

For the mtn games, it is obviously 5000x or something ridiculous. Even with satellite distribution, ti would be 500x.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n20508878

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743356-139.stm
What would be instructive is to see the ratings for the Friday night or Sunday night Boise State games on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote