cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bronco's prevent D against a terrible QB

almost gave me a stroke last night.

Rushing two on the end, and dropping 9, to have the QB run for 15 yards up the middle?

I think Bronco thought Dalton was Vince Young.

We almost lost the game last night because of Bronco's ultra-conservative predictable calls on defense.

Un-freaking-believable. I'll bet Bronco walks away from the game patting himself on the back about not giving up big plays, and holding them in the end. Game should have never been that close.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Rushing two on the end, and dropping 9, to have the QB run for 15 yards up the middle?

We almost lost the game last night because of Bronco's ultra-conservative predictable calls on defense.

Un-freaking-believable. I'll bet Bronco walks away from the game patting himself on the back about not giving up big plays, and holding them in the end. Game should have never been that close.
Apparently you didn't listen to the post game show. He admitted it was a mistake. No coach in the world calls a perfect game. It was a mistake and he owned up to it.

As a side note, we are the only undefeated team in the conference.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default As a self-proclaimed Pollyanna

Quote:

I agree the prevent (in both halves) was ridiculous. I tend to fall on the Infallible Bronco side of things more often than not, but I was screaming at the TV for us to send a blitz. As each play of the drive was run, I thought, surely Bronco sees this isn't working - he'll mix it up this time. He never did. I did listen to the postgame however, and Bronco acknowledged his mistake. He sure didn't make the same mistake on the final defensive stop. Impressive. I love it.

As long as I'm bashing coaching, we've had three 3rd down and 1 or 2s the past 2 weeks where we've thrown deep balls only to punt or kick on 4th. This is baffling to me, especially when we went something like 76 of 78 on 3rd downs last night. Perhaps these plays pull back the safeties so we can go 76 of 78, but I'd like to see some better playcalling when we need to sustain a drive.

Aside from those 2 things, well coached game, well executed game. The offense was solid, the defense was spectacular. David Nixon blowing up that 4th and inches was the highlight of the season.

5-0 baby! Bring on the Pokes!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
As a side note, we are the only undefeated team in the conference.
That seems to be irrelevant to some. They want better wins.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The mantra just a couple of years ago was "all that matters are wins and losses". Obviously, that claim was patently false.

All that matters are wins with sufficient style points.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Apparently you didn't listen to the post game show. He admitted it was a mistake. No coach in the world calls a perfect game. It was a mistake and he owned up to it.
Did he talk about why he did it? It seemed like he was trying to make TCU use up the clock, which wasn't their friend. Keeping everything in front and tackling for short gains and more seconds off the clock seemed to work the first 4-6 plays of that series, but then TCU ran off a series of quick 10-15 yards gains that got them downfield very quickly.

Nice that he owned up to it and changed tactics the next series.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I hope A&M fans weren't watching this game, or at least A&M fans who post on Texags. My credibility was probably destroyed last night.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
myboynoah

Quote:
I hope A&M fans weren't watching this game, or at least A&M fans who post on Texags. My credibility was probably destroyed last night.
I don't think we need to worry about anybody else watching the game.

Anyway, you had them at "Bronco".

Old 11-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

They did bring pressure on the last possession.

We're going to be susceptible to that play where we drop 7 and the QB takes off running. I predict Utah's QB has a big rushing day against us.

We gave them a few short fields and they only scored 22 on us. We came up big when we needed to.

I really hope I'm not becoming a homer, but I don't get some of the criticism against the coaching staff this season. We're 7-2 and generally playing as good as we can, IMO.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
They did bring pressure on the last possession.

We're going to be susceptible to that play where we drop 7 and the QB takes off running. I predict Utah's QB has a big rushing day against us.

We gave them a few short fields and they only scored 22 on us. We came up big when we needed to.

I really hope I'm not becoming a homer, but I don't get some of the criticism against the coaching staff this season. We're 7-2 and generally playing as good as we can, IMO.
If you didn't understand that the TCU offense sucks, and drove the ball up and down the field, mostly on QB rushes, then yes you are a blind homer.