cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Seems to me like it's about expectations...

I expect BYU to dominate a mediocre MWC team at home and the game should be over by the third quarter. As has been mentioned, not only did that not happen, but BYU gave up 370 yards to a bad TCU offense and TCU had a chance to win at the end - a chance that a decent to good team may have capitalized on.

Others expect and are perfectly happy with a win.

I'm not sure either side is wrong.
I don't mind close wins. I can even tolerate some mistakes and sloppy performance.

But when the COACH hamstrings his team like that, it is very frustrating.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #42
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seems to me like it's about expectations...

I expect BYU to dominate a mediocre MWC team at home and the game should be over by the third quarter. As has been mentioned, not only did that not happen, but BYU gave up 370 yards to a bad TCU offense and TCU had a chance to win at the end - a chance that a decent to good team may have capitalized on.

Others expect and are perfectly happy with a win.

I'm not sure either side is wrong.
Expectations. TCU was expected to win the conference. BYU's offense was supposed to struggle. Hall would lose us several games just because he was a sophomore and hadn't played for 4 years. 8-4 would be a good year because we were rebuilding.

I didn't believe any of that and expected more. I just find it now surprising some are dissatisfied with what people called me a "blue glassed" fan for predicting what is happening.

Now because I am happy, I am called one who has low expectations.

I realize I am smarter than all of you so it is to be expected, but I still am amuzed when it does.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #43
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Expectations. TCU was expected to win the conference. BYU's offense was supposed to struggle. Hall would lose us several games just because he was a sophomore and hadn't played for 4 years. 8-4 would be a good year because we were rebuilding.
deleted. nevermind
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #44
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
another difference between you and I...

I base my expectations off what I've seen take place during the year. You apparently base yours off what people thought would happen before any games had been played. Not saying you're wrong, but that way of thinking does seem just a bit flawed to me.

Actually I based it off of what I thought would happen. Here is why I thought we win 10 games.

1) Favorable schedule. Most of the tough conference games were going to be home games.

2) Last year we won by big margins. This years D looked to be as good as last years so this years offense didn't have to be as good as last years to win games.

3) TCU and Utah had to play us on the road. TCU was breaking in a new QB. Reasons to believe they weren't sure bets for conf. championship.

The loss to Tulsa shocked me. I thought we could lose either the Wyoming or Utah game. That could still happen and wreck my 10-2 prediction.

Quite frankly, and I could change my mind, I am right now more pessimisitic about next year than most.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #45
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default What do you expect from a Cougar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Looking good means being able to beat down a victim once you have them down. BYU continually let TCU off the canvas to show new life. It just frustrates me that BYU lacks the knockout punch this year. In the bowl game, this may come back to haunt us. In conference it may not, although Utah concerns me greatly.
Cougars are cats and therefore subject to playing with their food. If BYU were the Wolves than they would have broken TCU's back in the first and chomped away until the bones were clean.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #46
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Given my current ranking on the Cougarboard prediction contest, you guys should be looking to me for realistic goals.
check it out

http://www.cougarboard.com/predictio...ll&season=2007
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #47
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Yeah, you're going to get more points out of the TCU game than I will, even though I got the BYU score exactly right.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #48
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

I didn't believe any of that and expected more. I just find it now surprising some are dissatisfied with what people called me a "blue glassed" fan for predicting what is happening.

Now because I am happy, I am called one who has low expectations.

I realize I am smarter than all of you so it is to be expected, but I still am amuzed when it does.
I predicted 8-4 and I am very happy with the season and with the game yesterday. I would not have liked a loss yesterday but I would have maintained my perspective.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #49
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Bronco made two coaching mistakes in that game and he has owned up to them. Both of them had to do with playing the prevent, one time at the end of the first half, and the other on TCUs second to last drive.

I understand Broncos reasoning, 5:00 minutes left, up 2 scores and you are missing your best DB. He did not want to give up the big play, and wanted them to chew up some clock and have to work their way down the field. It actually did work and Hodgkiss got his hand on a ball that almost caused a pick. They ate up some clock, they did score, but our offense had the ball with 3:30 to go up 5 and we couldnt run it out.

The next series Bronco blitzed all 4 plays and good things happened, but whose to say if he blitzed on the series before that Dalton wouldnt have found a streaking reciever in one on one coverage?

I went and rewatched the game, and every play that we blitzed good thigns happened, they completed 4 passes when we blitzed the biggest gain was 7 yards, the other 3 completions were for 4 yards or less.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #50
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

The next series Bronco blitzed all 4 plays and good things happened, but whose to say if he blitzed on the series before that Dalton wouldnt have found a streaking reciever in one on one coverage?
Dalton is a brutal QB - he showed last night, just as he has throughout the entire season that if you put pressure on him, he isn't going to hit that streaking receiver. Most likely he isn't even going to see that streaking receiver as he is too busy panicking about getting pressure. If he does get lucky enough to see the receiver, the chances of him making an accurate throw are slim to none.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote