cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Funk, the Utes lead the Universe in whining about RUTS.

Please, have a glass of "shut the hell up."

Utah has made it their pillar standard of class. Nobody else forced Utah to make RUTS such an issue that it is to Utah. Few other fanbases give a shit but to Utah it is a holy unwritten law. BYU fans are holding Utah up to the U standard. BYU fans have no issues with RUTS. It is a U issue. Is there wrong with holding a fanbase or institution responsible for the standards it claims to uphold even if it is the only fanbase in existence who holds such a principle so dear?
This seems accurate. There are certainly some BYU fans who whine about ruts, but it seems like most of us don't make a big deal of it. I remember lots of Utes whining about it at various times, though. I feel like if your team sucks that much they should lose by whatever score they deserve, but trick plays and onside kicks are over the line.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #12
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I have never been a fan to complain about RUTS. I think it is the other teams job to stop you. If they don't want the opposing team to score than stop them from scoring. I agree that Ute fans bitch about this as much as any fan, but calling Whittingham classless when he is just doing what Lavell taught him is kind of stupid.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I have never been a fan to complain about RUTS. I think it is the other teams job to stop you. If they don't want the opposing team to score than stop them from scoring. I agree that Ute fans bitch about this as much as any fan, but calling Whittingham classless when he is just doing what Lavell taught him is kind of stupid.
I think an onside kick up 43-0 is beyond running up the score, it is Whit trying to piss on Joe Glenn and sending Wyoming fans everywhere a big F*** You! Which is fine if thats what Kyle wants to do, but to say that you see nothing wrong with that is ridiculous. Like I said I have no problem with teams running their offense, seriously go right ahead, but to run numerous trick plays up huge like this is a joke.

I would be pissed as a Ute fan for one reason, you guys played a very good game, the defense looked awesome, but guess what nobody will know that or care, the topic will be about running up the score. It takes away from how well Utah played.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Way to deliberately ignore the factual bitchslap Junkie laid on you and your argument. Instead you just say..."LaVell taught Kyle." You don't have anything original to come with. As usual you're wrong about everything, everytime.

Thanks for playing.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think an onside kick up 43-0 is beyond running up the score, it is Whit trying to piss on Joe Glenn and sending Wyoming fans everywhere a big F*** You! Which is fine if thats what Kyle wants to do, but to say that you see nothing wrong with that is ridiculous. Like I said I have no problem with teams running their offense, seriously go right ahead, but to run numerous trick plays up huge like this is a joke.

I would be pissed as a Ute fan for one reason, you guys played a very good game, the defense looked awesome, but guess what nobody will know that or care, the topic will be about running up the score. It takes away from how well Utah played.

No it isn't beyond running up the score, it is simply running up the score. I didn't realize there were different degrees of running up the score. I don't have a problem with the onside kick, perhaps he ran it because Utah hasn't run one all season and he wanted to work on executing the play in a game situation. I'm sure the actual reason is it was a screw you to Joe Glenn.

I think complaints about RUTS are some of the dumbest complaints out there. Don't complain, stop the opposing team from scoring.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Way to deliberately ignore the factual bitchslap Junkie laid on you and your argument. Instead you just say..."LaVell taught Kyle." You don't have anything original to come with. As usual you're wrong about everything, everytime.

Thanks for playing.
I didn't ignore anything. I agreed with him Utah is running up the score. I also pointed out that the BYU fanbase has no room to talk.

So is the point that there are 3 degrees of RUTS and that only certain degrees of RUTS glory are acceptable.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

Quote:
No it isn't beyond running up the score, it is simply running up the score. I didn't realize there were different degrees of running up the score. I don't have a problem with the onside kick, perhaps he ran it because Utah hasn't run one all season and he wanted to work on executing the play in a game situation. I'm sure the actual reason is it was a screw you to Joe Glenn.

I think complaints about RUTS are some of the dumbest complaints out there. Don't complain, stop the opposing team from scoring.
What do you think it says about a staff that calls an onside kick with a 6 touchdown lead?

Also if you can find a single link or instance in the history of LaVell's tenure where he did something like that, then I challenge you to find it and post it.

Here's a chance for you to prove everyone wrong.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

Quote:
I didn't ignore anything. I agreed with him Utah is running up the score. I also pointed out that the BYU fanbase has no room to talk.

So is the point that there are 3 degrees of RUTS and that only certain degrees of RUTS glory are acceptable.
You're saying he's copying LaVell...again find a single instance where LaVell did something as bush league as calling for an onside kick with a 6 touchdown lead.

You can't and you know it. You trying to say he's like LaVell is just pussy ass trolling as usual.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You're saying he's copying LaVell...again find a single instance where LaVell did something as bush league as calling for an onside kick with a 6 touchdown lead.

You can't and you know it. You trying to say he's like LaVell is just pussy ass trolling as usual.

Well Goatnapper had a good one that he pointed out. Inserting Marc Wilson back in the game to set a record. Did I ever say that Lavell did anything that bad. I would like you to point out one single point in this thread where I said what Whittingham did was equal. All I said is that BYU fans have no room to bitch about RUTS. Lavell RUTS his entire career, and I have no problem with that.

I'll go ahead and agree with you Lavell never did anything like kicking an onside kick with a 6 TD lead. So there you guy Whittingham is a worse RUTSer than Lavell, but make no mistake they both did it.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #20
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

While it's beyond weird that you drag LaVell into this, I would say Joe Glenn got exactly what he deserved. When you guarantee a win, you damn well better back it up.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote