cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #21
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
No it isn't beyond running up the score, it is simply running up the score. I didn't realize there were different degrees of running up the score. I don't have a problem with the onside kick, perhaps he ran it because Utah hasn't run one all season and he wanted to work on executing the play in a game situation. I'm sure the actual reason is it was a screw you to Joe Glenn.

I think complaints about RUTS are some of the dumbest complaints out there. Don't complain, stop the opposing team from scoring.
RUTS isn't all about running up the score. Nobody accused Kansas of RUTS against Nebraska when they scored 76. It isn't about how many points you score, but how you do it. If you can score 200 on somebody while running the ball and returning picks and fumbles, nobody cares. If you run trick plays and onside kicks, that's pure dickery. It shows that you're actively trying to embarrass the other team, not that you're just not letting up.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
While it's beyond weird that you drag LaVell into this, I would say Joe Glenn got exactly what he deserved. When you guarantee a win, you damn well better back it up.
Now this part I will agree with.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #23
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's official: mpfunk is a zoot.

What a ridiculous post. Sack up and admit what Kyle did tonight is classless outside of anything Lavell did years ago.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #24
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well Goatnapper had a good one that he pointed out. Inserting Marc Wilson back in the game to set a record.
But see, that has nothing to do with embarrassing the other team. That's just being a cool coach to your kids. That's a really poor example.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Well Goatnapper had a good one that he pointed out. Inserting Marc Wilson back in the game to set a record. Did I ever say that Lavell did anything that bad. I would like you to point out one single point in this thread where I said what Whittingham did was equal. All I said is that BYU fans have no room to bitch about RUTS. Lavell RUTS his entire career, and I have no problem with that.

I'll go ahead and agree with you Lavell never did anything like kicking an onside kick with a 6 TD lead. So there you guy Whittingham is a worse RUTSer than Lavell, but make no mistake they both did it.
I don't think anyone has ever said that BYU teams haven't run up the score.

The point you seem to be fixating on is that well..."LaVell did it too, so screw you BYU fans."

I seriously doubt LaVell ever did anything just to spite the hell out of the opposing coach and staff like KWhit deliberately did today.

While I don't feel sorry for Wyoming, at the same time Kyle looked like a total ass today still running trick plays with such a massive lead. It told you what his real intent was and it wasn't just to win a football game, it was to flat out tell the WYoming staff to fuck off.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #26
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
It's official: mpfunk is a zoot.

What a ridiculous post. Sack up and admit what Kyle did tonight is classless outside of anything Lavell did years ago.
Well Johnny I'm still waiting for you to say how classless it was for BM to call that TO right before TCU kicked a FG.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #27
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Well Johnny I'm still waiting for you to say how classless it was for BM to call that TO right before TCU kicked a FG.
Why? Three minutes after you said no BYU fans would criticize Bronco, I posted this:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...nco#post147944

Can you not read?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #28
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Funk we can get even deeper in to this, we just pointed out the obvious how about a corner blitz at the end of the game up 50-0?

Like everyone else is saying we have no problem with Utah running their offense, I have no problem with reverses because thats part of the offense, no problem with throwing it, no problem with any of that, I will even say that the fake punt up 26-0 was not that bad. However an onside kick, a flea flicker, a fake qb dive then stepping back and throwing it deep, that is what we are talking about, Lavell never did any of that.

Run your offense, work on the things you feel like you need to work on, but an onside kick, and trick plays should not be part of that up 40+ points.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #29
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I would be pissed as a Ute fan for one reason, you guys played a very good game, the defense looked awesome, but guess what nobody will know that or care, the topic will be about running up the score. It takes away from how well Utah played.
ditto.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #30
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

RUTS is RUTS, and no one did it with more class than Lavell and Scovil (running the offense). To their credit they were never so dickless as to onsides kick up 40. The play is a high rsik move for real men. KWhit pussied it by taking the no-risk option.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote