cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default All this talk about "class"

All this talk about "class" makes we want to puke.

Quote:
The strong do what they will. The weak suffer what they must. (Thucydides 5.89.1)
If KW wants to rub Wyo.'s dick in the dirt, that's his decision. He's the head coach. It's his team. It's not like he was playing a Div. II cupcake. It's not Pop Warner or even High School (and yes, there's a difference at these levels).

Karma will probably catch up to him someday and someday Wyo. will have its revenge but, for now, he's the ass-kicking sheriff in town. He didn't cheat. He pressed his advantage and showed a little nasty. If someone has a problem with that, don't whine about "class." Strap it up and beat his team.

The knock on these KW teams has been that they've let up on opponents (see: Louisville '07). Not this time. I liked the killer instinct I saw on Saturday. I think it's a big step forward for KW - he's shedding some of that "nice guy" image.

In 1968, Woody Hayes' Ohio State team scored a late touchdown while leading Michigan comfortably. Hayes went for a two-point conversion. After the game, when asked why he had elected to go for two, he said, "Because I couldn't go for three."

That's the attitude I want in the guy coaching my favorite team.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
That's the attitude I want in the guy coaching my favorite team.
Personally, I would prefer a head coach that knew when to back off. For no other reason than this kind of stuff will come back in spades. So it just doesn't seem like a very wise thing to do in the long run for your football program. It was a foolish emotional reaction. The Utes used Glenn's rash comment to fire up the team and look what happened. You think Wyoming will need any extra motivation next year to get up for this game?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Personally, I would prefer a head coach that knew when to back off. For no other reason than this kind of stuff will come back in spades. So it just doesn't seem like a very wise thing to do in the long run for your football program. It was a foolish emotional reaction. The Utes used Glenn's rash comment to fire up the team and look what happened. You think Wyoming will need any extra motivation next year to get up for this game?
Sure, the karma might catch up to him in the end - but I don't think it has anything to do with "class."
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If he didn't know when to back off before the Wyoming game, KW now knows. I can't fault him too much for doing it after Glenn's guarantee of a victory.

It's not my nature to want to humiliate the opponent, but I believe that far too many who are condemning KW in this never competed athletically after high school. Not only is the talent much better at college than high school, but the competitiveness also increases, perhaps at an even higher rate. The more competitive one is, the more he's likely to take an off-hand comment from an opponent and try to shove it back in the guy's face. Coaches aren't much different than the athletes when it comes to that kind of stuff.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 11-11-2007 at 06:10 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Not only is the talent much better at college than high school, but the competitiveness also increases, perhaps at an even higher rate. The more competitive one is, the more he's likely to take an off-hand comment from an opponent and try to shove it back in the guy's face. Coaches aren't much different than the athletes when it comes to that ind of stuff.
You'd know better than I. I'd guess coaches can sometimes be more competitive, since their livelihood depends on W-L record. That's a kind of pressure not a lot of 20 year-olds feel.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
If he didn't know when to back off before the Wyoming game, KW now knows. I can't fault him too much for doing it after Glenn's guarantee of a victory.

It's not my nature to want to humiliate the opponent, but I believe that far too many who are condemning KW in this never competed athletically after high school. Not only is the talent much better at college than high school, but the competitiveness also increases, perhaps at an even higher rate. The more competitive one is, the more he's likely to take an off-hand comment from an opponent and try to shove it back in the guy's face. Coaches aren't much different than the athletes when it comes to that ind of stuff.
Agreed. I could certainly see myself doing what KW did. I do stupid things in the heat of the moment that I regret all too frequently. We all do.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Agreed. I could certainly see myself doing what KW did. I do stupid things in the heat of the moment that I regret all too frequently. We all do.
The best part of all of this is that by the reactions, it's just more proof that Utah and BYU fans are the same. We may not like to admit it, but we are.

I have a twisted sense of humor and this just makes me laugh.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
You'd know better than I. I'd guess coaches can sometimes be more competitive, since their livelihood depends on W-L record. That's a kind of pressure not a lot of 20 year-olds feel.
I bet you can understand this more than you realize. Are you not pushed to be better than your peers? Competition is always there and what drives everyone, no matter the career.

Folks just don't see coaching Division I college sports (or pro sports for that matter) as a real job, because as fans, we are entertained by what they do.

Perhaps folks should start filling up lecture halls on college campuses throughout the country to cheer or taunt the instructor and his students, but I can't see 40,000 folks willing to pay money to watch that, as it might not be as entertaining as seeing 20 something year old kids pound the hell out of each other.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
The best part of all of this is that by the reactions, it's just more proof that Utah and BYU fans are the same. We may not like to admit it, but we are.

I have a twisted sense of humor and this just makes me laugh.
Oh, it has been great entertainment for me.

But all of the sound and fury over KW's kick and Glenn's bird are further evidence that it was a bad idea. Utah played an outstanding game but that is not the focus of all of the post-game discussion. Not just on message boards, but in the media as well.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate folks who whine about RUTS. I'm not a big believer in game planning to fail either (i.e. just running and not passing at the end). Put in the backups and continue to go balls to the wall.

Jack Pardee at Houston used to RUTS. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame, but before he because HC at Univ. of Houston.

Whittingham may be sending a message "we are the bad boys of this league, and I'll be damned if you can punish us for it."

I respect any man who shows complete disdain for Univ. of Wyoming. In fact, I have no problem if Utah RUTS against BYU.

It's good for college football. Because next year there will be a lot more buzz between Utah and Wyoming.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote