cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

CG has taught me that there actually is a rivalry among some people. To me it's just another game.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
CG has taught me that there actually is a rivalry among some people. To me it's just another game.
The problem is that constitutionally you'd be a lot happier rooting against BYU. You know better than anyone what an obnoxious place it is. So you block out the Rivalry, being conflicted and pained as you are.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, growing up outside of Utah this was never a game I cared about either.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are either

a) joking/trolling, or

b) admitting that in spite of it all, you are at best a marginal BYU fan.

Seriously, how could you possibly follow a team this closely and not have any insight/enthusiasm regarding the main rivalry? That's like someone claiming to be an Aggie fan, but looking at the game vs. Texas as "no big deal". Boggles the mind.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

is BYU vs. Utah even considered one of the top 20 most important rivalry games in the country?

A rivalry game for BYU in Utah in the MWC is, as is quoted in the best movie ever, "the sideshow of a sideshow".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You are either

a) joking/trolling, or

b) admitting that in spite of it all, you are at best a marginal BYU fan.

Seriously, how could you possibly follow a team this closely and not have any insight/enthusiasm regarding the main rivalry? That's like someone claiming to be an Aggie fan, but looking at the game vs. Texas as "no big deal". Boggles the mind.

I grew up in California and was a die hard BYU fan. Holiday Bowl every year, saturday afternoon games either at the Stake Center or picking up KSL over some sideband radio my old man bought. Never honestly knew about a rivalry with Utah. True there wasn't much of a rivalry then but I knew nobody who was a Ute fan.

In 1994 my hometeaching comp was a short fat kid from Viewmont High who was a diehard Ute fan. My first exposure to rivalry smack was on the LDS Institute web board for the West Point Branch. Still I was a few months removed from my mission and really had yet to recapture that competitive spirit and love of intercollegiate sports. 1996 when both Army and BYU had great years brought back all those memories and I was once again hooked. But still even while realizing that Utah had become a decent program, it was not really a rivalry as I knew no Ute fans and thought the 3 year run of wins was a fluke and that '96 set order back to the Universe.

Fast forward to 1998, I always loved Rick Majerus. Loved how he ran his program and loved the toughnosed style of play. In 1998 Utah made their great run to the NC game. I loved it. I rooted for the Utes and even bought myself a Ute hat. Clearly, I would still love for BYU hoops to beat them, but I liked their style of play and loved Big Rick.

I continue to follow BYU from a far in Louisiana until 2000 - when I got my first dial up internet account. Then I discovered these boards. Then I discovered not only a rivalry, but the fact that it makes people act like total assholes. While I still love Majerus it became impossible for me to continue to like Utah anything once I discovered how much many of them hated, and I mean HATED, all things BYU. So yes in time I developed my own distaste for Utenation as a consequence.

However, without the internet I don't know how much I would understand the nature of the rivalry. Without living in Utah I have had so little exposure until I found the addiction of sports message boards on the world wide web.

PS I still have the hat if a Ute wants it.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
is BYU vs. Utah even considered one of the top 20 most important rivalry games in the country?

A rivalry game for BYU in Utah in the MWC is, as is quoted in the best movie ever, "the sideshow of a sideshow".
This is the only rivalry that is literally a metaphor for good and bad, the Shire vs. Mordor, etc.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is the only rivalry that is literally a metaphor for good and bad, the Shire vs. Mordor, etc.
So are you Sauron or one of his minions?

We know 71 plays Gandalf, and Goat plays Frodo.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's literally a metaphor, is it? All those other rivalries are just metaphors for metaphors I suppose.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Aha... Since BYU is in a piss-poor conference, the very concept of getting up for such a rivalry game offends your sense of dignity. Gotcha.

You know, Mike, it's quite fascinating to see a mental health professional with such a case of self-loathing.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote