cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Is your Jazz example analagous?

SLC does not have 2 teams, only one. They can call it whatever they want.

It would be like the Giants in the NL West and A's in the AL East. Makes little sense.
OK, then they can call it the Bubba league and the Gomer league. I am sure they could settle the name issue. The question is whether traditional rivals are int he same division or not.

TO finsih my thought, the name of the division doesn't matter becasue the shceme would atill allow those adjacent schools to play at least once every year and osmetimes more than once. So it is really just a nameing issue to deal with to overcome your objection.

Last edited by creekster; 12-03-2007 at 07:19 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #22
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

For all the other rivals it really doesn't matter. However if USC/UCLA are not split the other 8 will never agree to expansion. The recruiting exposure in SoCal is viewed as far too valuable.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sorry guys. There's no way BYU will join the Pac 10. It's just not going to happen. Ever. BYU would have to become a completely different kind of a school and you know what I mean. There is just no way Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC and Washington will abide being in the same conference as BYU. Money is not the issue. I've tried to tell you that a little extra or a little less money in the football bathtub (more like a teacup for these schools) doesn't matter compared to other factors and their primary missions and interests.

I think if the Pac 10 expands perhaps the most likely teams to be invited (barring Colorado or Texas bolting the Big 12) are Utah and Air Force. Air Force would become the Northwestern of the Pac 12.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #24
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Sorry guys. There's no way BYU will join the Pac 10. It's just not going to happen. Ever. BYU would have to become a completely different kind of a school and you know what I mean. There is just no way Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC and Washington will abide being in the same conference as BYU. Money is not the issue. I've tried to tell you that a little extra or a little less money in the football bathtub (more like a teacup for these schools) doesn't matter compared to other factors and their primary missions and interests.

I think if the Pac 10 expands perhaps the most likely teams to be invited (barring Colorado or Texas bolting the Big 12) are Utah and Air Force. Air Force would become the Northwestern of the Pac 12.

You are smoking some okie dopie, my friend. THey will take BSU or Hawaii or even FSU before they take Air Force.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

LOL.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #26
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You are smoking some okie dopie, my friend. THey will take BSU or Hawaii or even FSU before they take Air Force.
I may well be smoking dope on Air Force. But so are you. They will not take BSU or FSU in a thousand years for much the same reason tehy will not take BYU. For the schools I listed, being in the Pac 10 has much the same distinction as being in the Ivy League. At least that's what they aspire to. They are holistic in viewing their league makeup. The Big 10 is much the same way. I bet if Northwestern could it woud bolt the Big Ten and join the Ivy League despite loss of prestige in DI sports.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
LOL.
Not gonna happen, Waters. Ever.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I may well be smoking dope on Air Force. But so are you. They will not take BSU or FSU in a thousand years for much the same reason tehy will not take BYU. For the schools I listed, being in the Pac 10 has much the same distinction as being in the Ivy League. At least that's what they aspire to. They are holistic in viewing their league makeup. The Big 10 is much the same way. I bet if Northwestern could it woud bolt the Big Ten and join the Ivy League despite loss of prestige in DI sports.
I think it is the lack of better alternatives that would have the Pac10 considering adding BYU.

If Missouri goes to the Big 10, and BYU goes to the Big 12, who does the Pac 10 pick up? Utah, a commuter school with little to show in the way of fan support and which other team? Utah and Air Force? Dream on. The only plum that exists in the non-BCS world (that is the team most like unto a BCS team in terms of fan support) is BYU.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #29
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
fresno state will never never never never be in the pac10. BYU has a better shot at the pac 10 than FSU and BYU's chances are slim. The UC schools will never let a cal state school in their conference.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #30
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

LOL! We want to be like the Ivy League so lets go get the University of Utah!

Air Force has far less academic freedom than BYU.

I think you might be a dork.