cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Utah may be different than the rest of the country.

Typically one's non-Mormon friends don't slap you on the back in congratulations.
Maybe not, but why would they care if a mormon friend went? My impression of 19 years olds is they don't put pressure on their peers much. Sure it can happen, but I think 19 year olds now days are more in the "whatever you want to do man" mode.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmf View Post
They're bucking the trend, but definitely not bucking the Mormon pressure/expectation; no kidding necessary.
Did his uncle Danny go on a mission? I don't think he did.

Did his father go on a mission? (I don't know)

All the Mormon pressure in the world led to only one person in my stake going on a mission? That's some amazing pressure. There's 100 times more pressure in Woot's bunghole
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #23
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They're bucking the trend, but definitely not bucking the Mormon pressure/expectation; no kidding necessary.
That didn't come out right -- the boys going are bucking the trend, and the Mormon boys not going are bucking the Mormon pressure/expectation.
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Utah may be different than the rest of the country.

Typically one's non-Mormon friends don't slap you on the back in congratulations.
My friends were pretty supportive and encouraging. I think there is enormous cultural pressure to go.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
My friends were pretty supportive and encouraging. I think there is enormous cultural pressure to go.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that southern Idaho is similar to Utah
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #26
ilmf

Quote:
Did his uncle Danny go on a mission? I don't think he did.

Did his father go on a mission? (I don't know)

All the Mormon pressure in the world led to only one person in my stake going on a mission? That's some amazing pressure. There's 100 times more pressure in Woot's bunghole
I haven't said anything about the pressure that comes from family (immediate or extended) who served missions, only talking about the Mormon church's expectation. Give me a break if you're trying to sell me that it isn't there (unless you're a new convert).

Is this now a discussion about how well the expectation/pressure works? It worked on me.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I haven't said anything about the pressure that comes from family (immediate or extended) who served missions, only talking about the Mormon church's expectation. Give me a break if you're trying to sell me that it isn't there (unless you're a new convert).

Is this now a discussion about how well the expectation/pressure works? It worked on me.
actually this is turning into a "I am a pussy who didn't really want to go on a mission but did anyway because I was afraid what people would think" thread.

carry on. tell us all about it.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #28
ilmf

Quote:
actually this is turning into a "I am a pussy who didn't really want to go on a mission but did anyway because I was afraid what people would think" thread.

carry on. tell us all about it.
I'd say that represented at least 33% of the guys in my mission, myself included. You've got your head in the sand if you think the pressure isn't there.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I'd say that represented at least 33% of the guys in my mission, myself included. You've got your head in the sand if you think the pressure isn't there.
There were very few in my mission that ever let on in anyway that they didn't want to be there.

But then again, my mission was one where if you were a pussy, there was no way you would stay. No electricity, no running water, no good food, middle of nowhere. Mission president hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Of course legend had it that in my mission there was a special process to be approved to go to my mission.

So maybe more pussies were diverted to other missions.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #30
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I thought I was clear. It is a cultural expectation and he said "this sucks, I quit." I can respect that type of middle finger action to any set of cultural expectations.

I wouldn't be excited if my daughter wanted to marry him, I would probably have her marry Brett Engamen. However, I think his rebel streak fits him well as a Division one eh qb.

So yes, I believe that which I spewed. Do you disagree with me?
Yes I disagree... I think you give him way to much credit. If he would have had the testicular fortitude to buck the system he wouldn't have gone in the first place. If he had this rebel streak why did he end up at byu?

Be honest, He's a good football player because he has honed his skills and a pretty good athlete. if he was really fighting the man he would have gone back to ASU and honored his commitment there.