cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #41
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
One thread about what another poster said is droning on?

I disagree with GN assumption that because he Max Hall quit on his mission he is better qb.
Why do you disagree with that assumption?

I'm not saying the assumption is right or wrong mind you.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #42
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt serve a mission because I couldnt quit the ladies. Eventhough every single one of my friends were doing the same things as me yet they all somehow ended up serving "honorable" missions.

When I told them I wasnt/couldnt go on a mission when I turned 19, all I heard from them was "Man my parents will kill me if I dont go" I would ask them if they had talked to their Bishops about clearing stuff up and they all said No way I dont dare.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #43
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Why do you disagree with that assumption?

I'm not saying the assumption is right or wrong mind you.
I don't think leaving your mission early and being a good college qb are related. Max Hall is a good qb because he has a pretty good arm.. can make football related decisions quickly and is a pretty good athlete.

Additionally, it seems bogus to say that he was rebelling against the system by leaving early. I don't know Max Hall by any means and he might even be this great rebel that GN speaks of I just think he was out on his mission and thought "what the hell am I doing here? I want to be home playing football and meeting girls at college like every other 19 year old in the country."... Hell I thought the same thing several times while I was out.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #44
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I don't think leaving your mission early and being a good college qb are related. Max Hall is a good qb because he has a pretty good arm.. can make football related decisions quickly and is a pretty good athlete.

Additionally, it seems bogus to say that he was rebelling against the system by leaving early. I don't know Max Hall by any means and he might even be this great rebel that GN speaks of I just think he was out on his mission and thought "what the hell am I doing here? I want to be home playing football and meeting girls at college like every other 19 year old in the country."... Hell I thought the same thing several times while I was out.
Ok I see your point, but the reality of it is you or GN don't really know either way so it's a lame topic of debate to begin with.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #45
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I didnt serve a mission because I couldnt quit the ladies. Eventhough every single one of my friends were doing the same things as me yet they all somehow ended up serving "honorable" missions.

When I told them I wasnt/couldnt go on a mission when I turned 19, all I heard from them was "Man my parents will kill me if I dont go" I would ask them if they had talked to their Bishops about clearing stuff up and they all said No way I dont dare.
LOL, I went because I was the first grandson. The example I would have set by not going for all the other grandchildren would have been catastrophic.

I was read stories about Laman and Lemeuel constantly. Satan leading 1/3 of the host of heaven astray was also discussed often.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #46
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think we agree with each other more than you realize. I agree with you why Max left, I just take it to another level and point out that I believe that kids who choose to leave the mission field do have some cajones. There are many who wish they would have had the sack to step up against the cultural expectations, but they never develop the fortitude to do such. I don't think him quitting his mission early is what makes him a good qb, but I think the sack to do what he wants despite the potential negative reprecussions indicates a stubborn attitude that serves any athlete well.

From what I have seen of him as a qb this past year, I think my opinions on his attitude and stubbornness is part of what makes him so competitive. I believe that is part of what makes him a successful qb despite his lack of experience. It is not leaving the mission but the attitude and confidence that leaving a mission early represents to me.

Perhaps you don't believe there is the enormous cultural expectations to "honorably serve" that I do.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it take a lot of sack to go AWOL from your unit before it deploys to Iraq?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #48
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Does it take a lot of sack to go AWOL from your unit before it deploys to Iraq?
Yes it does. I think it takes sack to be a suicide bomber as well. It takes sack to play Russian Roulette.