cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
OK, tell me what is the big deal with getting to a BCS game. How much respect does Utah or BSU have right now as neither can win a conf. championship since.

If it is all about the money, fine just say so. You don't build a lasting reputation by getting somewhere by going the easy route and not following up.

If they are so sure this will get them BCS money, they ought to give the season ticket holders a break and charge less for next years tickets.

If you thought you were paying for a Celin Dion (sp) concert and you got Tiny Tim, I think you would have a right to some kind of discount.

Come on. Let's not fault Bronco for aspiring to a BCS bowl. That's the logical next step. He is talking about eventually contending for a national championship.

I am not too happy about playing another cupcake, but I understand his logic. So you can argue with his methods, but not his motivation nor his ultimate goal.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Come on. Let's not fault Bronco for aspiring to a BCS bowl. That's the logical next step. He is talking about eventually contending for a national championship.

I am not too happy about playing another cupcake, but I understand his logic. So you can argue with his methods, but not his motivation nor his ultimate goal.
Note, I have never ripped on Bronco's character for this. His goals are at odds with mine.

He is the coach and doing a pretty solid job of it. If I were a bystander and asked, who do you think would do a better job of running BYU's football program, Bronco or BYU71, I would say what an assisinine question, of course Bronco.

That being said, I think I have the right to question what he does or is doing and how it affects me, but until something happens that hasn't yet, I don't think I can question the results he is getting.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Note, I have never ripped on Bronco's character for this. His goals are at odds with mine.

He is the coach and doing a pretty solid job of it. If I were a bystander and asked, who do you think would do a better job of running BYU's football program, Bronco or BYU71, I would say what an assisinine question, of course Bronco.

That being said, I think I have the right to question what he does or is doing and how it affects me, but until something happens that hasn't yet, I don't think I can question the results he is getting.
Since you're are at odds with him and his goals are to win a National Championship....what exactly is the problem?

Your goals have to be lower than his since they are at odds...what exactly are your goals?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #14
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Since you're are at odds with him and his goals are to win a National Championship....what exactly is the problem?

Your goals have to be lower than his since they are at odds...what exactly are your goals?
Goals can be the same, method of achieving them can be different. For instance, my goal in winning the Vegas Bowl was the same as the coaches. However, I wouldn't have handed it off to Unga with 19 seconds left.

If we are good enough to play in a BCS game, I think we are good enough to beat an average BCS or non BCS team at home next year. We don't have to dip down to 1AA.

That way we achieve Bronco's and my goal of getting to the BCS without having to cheat (my opinion) the fans on the product brought into the stadium.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Goals can be the same, method of achieving them can be different. For instance, my goal in winning the Vegas Bowl was the same as the coaches. However, I wouldn't have handed it off to Unga with 19 seconds left.

If we are good enough to play in a BCS game, I think we are good enough to beat an average BCS or non BCS team at home next year. We don't have to dip down to 1AA.

That way we achieve Bronco's and my goal of getting to the BCS without having to cheat (my opinion) the fans on the product brought into the stadium.
What if they getting to the BCS using Bronco's formula worked and in the same process they won that BCS game.....you'd still feel cheated?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
What if they getting to the BCS using Bronco's formula worked and in the same process they won that BCS game.....you'd still feel cheated?
I would still feel he could have done it by playing someone good at LES.

However, when it comes to results, I don't have to be right.

If BYU has all LDS RM's and is in the NC hunt every year, I will be very happy even though I have said it can't be done.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Bronco has sent the message that with the very difficult conference schedule (which he calls "parity"), and the talented teams Washington and UCLA (both with losing records), he can only afford to play a div 1aa team next year if he wants any chance at being undefeated.

Nice stones you got there Bronco. What are they made of? Chalk?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I was responding to your question regarding what is the big deal about the BCS.

Your logic is a bit puzzling to me. You question why the BCS is such a big deal yet you are upset that we are considering scheduling a cupcake in lieu of a BCS team. By scheduling a cupcake, BM thinks can increase the probability of playing a BCS team at the end of the year. On a huge stage in front of a huge audience.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I was responding to your question regarding what is the big deal about the BCS.

Your logic is a bit puzzling to me. You question why the BCS is such a big deal yet you are upset that we are considering scheduling a cupcake in lieu of a BCS team. By scheduling a cupcake, BM thinks can increase the probability of playing a BCS team at the end of the year. On a huge stage in front of a huge audience.
I guess I am talking about a BCS game, not the BCS itself.

Let me explain it this way and maybe it will make sense. If next years schedule has a 1AA team replacing Nevada, I personally don't think it is worth me spending $1,000 for tickets. I will watch the games on tape delay and play golf or just watch them on TV. I will go to a couple of away games. That will be my interest level. I will just let the tickets go for one year because I like the following years schedule.

As far as getting to a BCS bowl, great. I will get tickets and go to the game.

Right now I don't think we go undefeated next year, even if we do schedule a 1AA at LES, so it will be done for no reason. Bronco feels different, I hope he is right.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Take a few steps back and see what Bronco is doing. He has a vision and he's following a blueprint with disipline.

Bottom line is we aren't playing in the NC game until we have first reached a BCS game. Just like we weren't making a BCS game without establishing our program first. Milk before meat.

I know you want to hurry and get to the good part, but this is going to be a process that takes many years. We simply aren't a top 10 team in the country right now, so we need to manage the schedule that will allow us to get to a BCS game. Bronco said in the postgame that the rules right now are that you need to go undefeated to get into a BCS game. Let's get there before we start whining about not playing a tough enough schedule.
We haven't ever played in a BCS bowl. And there have been a lot of seasons that have been a blast. What games do you remember the last 20 years? I remember beating Notre Dame, Texas, T A&M, Penn State, Miss St, Washington, ASU, Cal, Virginia, Syracuse, etc. I remember getting stoked to play games against 'Bama, Florida State, Virginia, Miss State, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, Washington, BC, etc. even though we lost.

I've never gotten excited to play Utah State, Nevada, Eastern Washington, etc, didn't really enjoy the games that much, and don't recall anyone on ESPN discussing the games.

I don't want to sit around for ten years watching us play crap OOC games and crap MWC games hoping for a shot at a BCS. If we're good enough, we'll make the BCS no matter if it's with zero, one, or two losses.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote